Who on here owns a Sports Jacket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've got a nice Gieves and Hawkes jacket in the wardrobe. Mainly gets worn at conferences. I can't say I do any sports in it.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Always wear my sports jacket for cycling. Why wouldn’t you?

Here's one of you as a lad on your way to the golf course.

5ce4fe59ccf3b0480c8623a49eda2363.jpg

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I have two. A lightweight one I bought second hand for the summer, and a made to measure one I bought from a local tailor many years ago beore I owned a house that sucked up all my cash. I don't think either look old fashioned: it's not what you wear but how you wear it that makes the difference.

Edited to add: Jacket or coat? I once read an interview with the late 11th Duke of Devonshire who claimed he preferred the good English 'coat' over the French-derived and (in his opinion) vulgar 'jacket'.

Last edited:

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I've just had a count up. I own 16 various tweed, silk, wool, mixed fibers, blazers and suit jackets. Mind you only about 4 or 5 were bought new. The others are from the retro clothing shop I work in and from decent charity shops (they used to call them clothing agencies a few decades ago). My favourite winter one is the Blaydon Norfolk jacket (circa 1960's) I bought from the retro clothing shop for about £20 when if they made them today they'd probably be about £500 and my favourite summer one is a beige Steegan striped blazer :whistle: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/s...out-from-the-riff-raff-help-me-decide.273614/ I found in a charity shop last February for a fiver. They had one on Etsy soon after, going for about £250. They were quite expensive in the 1960's/70/s, probably about £450 in today's money. There's a Steegan jacket here on Etsy, going for £236.

View attachment 674460

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/791...n?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&g
That is one of the most f**king hideous things I've ever seen! Please let me un-see it!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Of course @Accy cyclist does but is there anyone else. I used to in my younger days but now with the trend towards casual clothing they seem rather outdated. Or what do you think?
Anyway there must be sufficient interest in them for this guy to put up a video:

View: https://youtu.be/YB2EIyczN5o

Christ alive they are awful. One of the forms of dress that defines older guys as old guys imo.

There is a strange split at around 60 years of age with both men and women - some remain modern looking (without looking utterly awful) and others suddenly morph into a dress code from yesteryear.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Always wear my sports jacket for cycling. Why wouldn’t you?

Indeed - though sadly the matching knee breeches which came with suit had, ahem, "shrunk" so I had to make do with the long trousers

20F01FAB-8F1E-4778-BD87-1D217EA30CBE.jpeg

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Christ alive they are awful. One of the forms of dress that defines older guys as old guys imo.

There is a strange split at around 60 years of age with both men and women - some remain modern looking (without looking utterly awful) and others suddenly morph into a dress code from yesteryear.
Depends how it's worn. Vivienne Westwood (God rest her soul) has worked with Harris Tweed in countless ensembles over the years. You wouldn't call her work 'a dress code from yesteryear ' would you?

artworks-VMw5p1dqqbNwwfSR-IH3Ncw-t500x500.jpg

images.jpeg

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Actually, come to think of it, a few years ago I had a jacket that may have fallen under that heading. It wasn't tweed, I don't know what it was made from. It was just a nondescript brown jacket, with lapels. Quite lightweight. It was really practical, provided the weather wasn't too cold and I wore it until it fell to bits.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Depends how it's worn. Vivienne Westwood (God rest her soul) has worked with Harris Tweed in countless ensembles over the years. You wouldn't call her work 'a dress code from yesteryear ' would you?

View attachment 674595

View attachment 674596

I'll take that as the exception that proves the rule. :smile:

And... they are nothing like the 'sports' jackets worn by old old guys (as opposed to young old guys) seen in the abominable gastropods in our locale.

There is a female equivalent to the old old man's sports jacket but it would divert the thread so I won't mention it.

Top Bottom