Who on here owns a Sports Jacket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Here's my best tweed suit, though I mostly wear just the jacket as a sports coat. Yorkshire tweed, rather than Harris; teflon treated wool to make it more weather resistant for the shooting gentleman; came with knee breeches as standard, with trousers as special order items! I don't actually go shooting, but it's smart, warm, and practical. Got married in it! (trousers rather than breeks though - didn't have the nerve for the latter, as it might have risked a last minute "no")

88A71A12-2DDB-40F8-8661-E8C4F7F625CC.jpeg

Last edited:

mustang1

Legendary Member
I have a few and even wear them on the odd occasion rather than just having them sitting in the clothes room. Usually mixed up either with a shirt or t-shirt, smart jeans and any of shoes, boots, smart walking trainers, depends how I feel. I like those jackets as it forces me out of my usual jeans and t-shirt.

mustang1

Legendary Member
All thee differrent types of sports jacket (some are slightly short for horse riding, some have looseness built in for shooting gun, etc etc) reminds me of the different types of road and mountain bike: some road bikes are aero, some ar climbing, some have wide tyres and known as gravel, some have narrower tyres but higher bb and known as cx, and dont get me started on the different types of mtb!).

Back to clothing, how about a sports suit, one where you can where a suit, but you can play football in it. Shrugs.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Maybe it's time to take my Harris tweed jacket to the Oxfam shop and get a bit more cool.....

You jest but I passed a young fellow last week dressed like an extra from Miami Vice. As far as I can tell it wasn't intended to be an ironic fashion statement.

byegad

Legendary Member
Properly made they allowed the sleeves to be unbuttoned and rolled up towards the elbows. But that was back pre-WW2.

I used to wear one to work until I bought a suede leather jacket. (My room was bloody freezing in all but a heatwave) I was also supposed to wear a tie, but given the cold room I always wore a round neck pullover, so a tie would have been invisible. I think I last wore a tie to workabout 1985.
I last wore one in 1997 and threw it out in 1998 because the job I then had had a very broad dress code, and was warm.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Depends how it's worn. Vivienne Westwood (God rest her soul) has worked with Harris Tweed in countless ensembles over the years. You wouldn't call her work 'a dress code from yesteryear ' would you?

View attachment 674595

View attachment 674596

There is somebody who lives along the road from me and wears one like the bottom picture to walk to church on Sunday mornings.
Retired banker who lives in an enormous house so not short of dosh.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You jest but I passed a young fellow last week dressed like an extra from Miami Vice. As far as I can tell it wasn't intended to be an ironic fashion statement.
Damn, I wish I'd kept my Burtons light brown/greyish 1990 baggy/boxy/wide peaked lapels/pleated turned up trousers suit now!:sad: I left it behind after my first flat move 5 years ago, thinking I hadn't worn it since about 1992, so why would I ever wear it again. Anyway, it wouldn't fit me now as I'm now size L, not XL and my leg inseam is now 33 inches, not 35 inches.

Edit...just remembered, the last time I wore it was New Years Eve 1993, when in those days many men still wore a suit and shirt and tie on New Years Eve pub crawls. If you wore a suit now on NYE they'd either think you'd been in court or been to a wedding or a funeral! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom