Olympics - Box Hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Queenie

Does anyone know how to get tickets for the Olymic Cycling 28th July for the Box Hill area? I've looked everywhere and been told that 15,000 tickets will be issued (I understand they're free) but I can't find any information on when they will be available or how to apply. In case I don't manage to get them, does anyone, who is familiar with the area, know the alternative "best place" to watch if I can't get on Box Hill? Camp site all sorted, just knowing where to go when I get there is a problem. Thanks.

OP
OP
Queenie

Queenie

Clearly you're all keeping this information to yourselves lol

jdrussell

We went to the Surrey Classic which was the Olympic test event and that was just through searching for the event and then applying for the wrist bands. I am pretty sure you can watch the whole thing for free by the side of the road, like we are going to do. Box Hill for the Surrey classic was good, but not amazingly well organized. Plus they are going to have to do some serious improvements on the commentating front up there. All we heard, time after time, was to be careful of the wet grass cos it can get slippery. Yeah cheers.

OP
OP
Queenie

Queenie

OK thanks chaps, I knew I could watch by the side of the road, but I wanted to know how to get onto Box Hill, but I guess at some point they will release that information. Ta for the website link Dodo, thats really useful. x

VamP

Banned
Are you in a cycling club, as British Cycling will undoubtedly release a number of the tickets to cycling clubs?

Personally I am not going to go into the zig-zag area. I went last year for the Surrey Classic (rehearsal race) and found it frustrating, and difficult to see much. I imagine allowing more people into a relatively congested area will only make that worse.

90% of the loop is unticketed. Go and drive (or ride:thumbsup:) the Box Hill loop, and find a good spectator spot. Don't tell anyone where that spot is! :whistle: Get there early and sharpen your elbows.

Alternatively, you can watch somewhere uncrowded along the route, but obviously they will only come past you once. With a bit of planning, you could catch them on the way south, and then move in time to watch them again on the way back.

No chance I reckon, remember what it was like when the Tour De France came to London and how many people turned up to watch? If you have to apply for tickets or if it's through clubs, which I doubt as it has to be seen to be open to everyone, I see the chances of getting a ticket or two as being extremely small.
We did originally have the idea of cycling from a friends house in Richmond but I think the rose tinted spectacles will have to come off. Can't wait to see how they go about it after the useless system they came up with for Olympic ticket allocation.

jdrussell

Seriously, maybe charged ? I have had enough of LOJOGON (as I like to call them) taking the p!ss. If they charge for this, this will be the final straw for me.

oldroadman

Veteran
Seriously, maybe charged ? I have had enough of LOJOGON (as I like to call them) taking the p!ss. If they charge for this, this will be the final straw for me.
It's standard to charge admission to major championships, last time the Worlds were in GB there was a charge to get into the road circuit, and world's CX always charges. If people are prepared to pay for 90 minutes of ball kicking, then a charge for being roadside at a focal point does not seem exectly unusual. The problem in cycling is that the fans are used to free roadside views, and not having to pay for access to importnat bits of the circuit.
Simple alternatives: find any spot but the Box Hill climb on the circuit, have a look at another bit or the out and home, then pop home and watch the final on TV.

It's standard to charge admission to major championships, last time the Worlds were in GB there was a charge to get into the road circuit, and world's CX always charges. If people are prepared to pay for 90 minutes of ball kicking, then a charge for being roadside at a focal point does not seem exectly unusual. The problem in cycling is that the fans are used to free roadside views, and not having to pay for access to importnat bits of the circuit.
Simple alternatives: find any spot but the Box Hill climb on the circuit, have a look at another bit or the out and home, then pop home and watch the final on TV.

London-centric viewpoint?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The seats in the grandstands in Paris go to sponsors, but you stand by the Champs Elysee for free. Which is as it should be.

Box Hill is not the best vantage point on the loop unless you are on the verge of the Zigzags between the second and third bends. Changes in the gradient mean that the sightlines are restricted.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Where is this London that you are all speaking of , i once went as far down as Coventry but there were large warning sign at the side of the motorway warning northerners "Passing this point may will take you south and this my cause serious damage to your sanity and wallet" so i went home.

Top Bottom