Olympics opening ceremony - no spoilers please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
B-I-L was there on Monday. said it was stunning and can't wait to see it on telly as there is things you can't see, in the stadium.

Flyingfox

I was there and thought it was amazing, I saw a little video snippet that was released (after the second rehearsal last night) on the BBC website and there was something on there that wasn't seen on Monday so I am still going to be surprised. Not sure how it will translate to the screen though so I will probably record it so I can skip through the athletes going around (apparently that takes 1 1/2 hours!
I also live near Greenwich so am going to cycle to a high point where I know I will able to see the fireworks from South of the river.

Janeyb

Colleague is involved. She's not gushy normally but said it makes her proud to be British. Apparently it's spectacular. We'll see.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I was there* and can tell everyone now that......look away if you don't want to know the result......THE BUTLER DID IT!

* I wasn't, really.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I had the chance of a ticket for Monday but declined it, we had a number for our group of stations with some of the staff able to attend, apparently it is an excellent show with a lot of surprises but they didn't reveal much about it apart from slow start and then fantastic........

I gave the opening ceremony a 7/10. Some obviously fantastic effects interspersed with some BBC TV crap. Crass commentary at times and Paul Mc Carthorse looked like a partially inflated blow-up doll (I looked them up on tinternet). Add in the deliberate pausing for accolades from Co. & Rogg Ltd. and it was all a bit naff - on TV. Being able to embrace the whole spectacle might have given a different perspective I'm sure.
The Arctic Monkeys were good, and Mr (has) Bean was just that.
<Caution - spoiler! ^_^>

Edit: Weird that Beckham was driving the speedboat for the cameras...you'd have thought he would have a stunt double!
Also, Coe made a faux pas when he said something about "the next two weeks being fantastic for the spirit of Olympians blah blah..." I thought it was an embracing spectacle that lasted at least four weeks - or is there a separate opening ceremony for the Paralympics?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The ends of both feet are currently clamped into a pair of woodworkers' vices. It may take a while to straighten my toes.
Sorry, I didn't like it. It went on for 120 minutes too long as well.

Grump.

Manonabike

Über Member
I liked it - very different but very good too. The only thing I did not like very much was the end with Maca -

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I liked it, and the whole family viewed it to the close (could have done without Paul at the end. And I loved Mr Bean (favourite with my youngest), though I have absolutely no idea what the rest of the world would make of it.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I liked it, and the whole family viewed it to the close (could have done without Paul at the end. And I loved Mr Bean (favourite with my youngest), though I have absolutely no idea what the rest of the world would make of it.

The Dutch at the Austrian campsite that I'm at were very impressed with it. It showcased the UK in a quirky but accessible way. I was awestruck especially when the industrial tableau was played out.
My bosom heaved with patriotic pride. For once somebody put on a huge spectacular that not only worked but exceeded expectations.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I want to know where I can get hold of a set of those wings ... they might slow me down a little but no motorist would be able to claim SMIDSY and presumably they would give me a wider beath too^_^

Top Bottom