Olympics overspend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
£9 billion is a drop in the ocean compared to the amount spent each year on welfare, defence, clapped out universites and legions on public of sector jobs. I was inspired by watching the Olympics in 1972 and 1976 and became an athlete for may years. A huge part of East London has been regenerated and the Olympics will put Britain on the global map and it is a once in a century event so we have to make the most of it as the Chinese did at the last Olympics.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I blame the architects . no really, I do. they choose fittings and want them suspended in a way the manufacturer didn't design them to be suspended so don't work. 5 times they have changed the suspension type and it still looks gash, each install needs to be paid for. I am ashamed to put my name to the install as it truly looks terrible. never mind the cost of the fitting . 180 of them at £800 each for a building that will be rubble by this time next year. but i have said enough now.
Wrong architects sub!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
£9 billion is a drop in the ocean compared to the amount spent each year on welfare, defence, clapped out universites and legions on public of sector jobs. I was inspired by watching the Olympics in 1972 and 1976 and became an athlete for may years. A huge part of East London has been regenerated and the Olympics will put Britain on the global map and it is a once in a century event so we have to make the most of it as the Chinese did at the last Olympics.

I am so pleased that yet more of the nations money has been poured into London. :cry:

Archie_tect

After the Games are over, sub, they are going to keep the sports facilities intact as [inter]national centres of excellence [or whatever the latest expression is for world class venues]... aren't they?
Gateshead International Stadium is still trading profitably but then presumably so does Crystal Palace... er?

subaqua

What’s the point
After the Games are over, sub, they are going to keep the sports facilities intact as [inter]national centres of excellence [or whatever the latest expression is for world class venues]... aren't they?
Gateshead International Stadium is still trading profitably but then presumably so does Crystal Palace... er?

aquatics might be available fopr public use but the running costs alone mean that it isn't going to be cheap . which puts it out of reach of the general public in these parts. Its nearly a fiver to go swimming in waltham forest pools. I can't see the velodrome being used much by any of the cycle clubs round here, the old lea valley circuit was knocked down for the current one and that had a road circuit and a mTB circuit. Ok you have Hog Hill in redbridge but thats a 10 mile trip out before you even start riding.

basketball arena is dismantled and moved to Rio for the next games. Handball arena will be a multi court centre but again the running costs are likely to mean its out of reach for all but the most die hard sports nuts. all the temporary stuff goes such as the hockey tennis BMX warm up tracks and temp link bridges. there are other rumours but they are unconfirmed and could lead to problems for me :whistle: ;)

subaqua

What’s the point
I am so pleased that yet more of the nations money has been poured into London. :cry:

to be brutally honest a good chunk of the local population really didn't want it , too many current sports facilitieshave been concreted over for VIP and coach parking - ever heard of Hackney Marsh home of grass roots football? its now the NSTM or northern spectator transit mall. a concrete paradise.
and any city that won it in the UK would only have only been able to construct on brownfield sites. which would have meant a huge clean up of contaminated land wherever you were.

remind me again what edinburgh manchester cardiff have all had built in the last 20 odd years ? Not all the investment has been London centric.

Archie_tect

Makes you wonder why they didn't upgrade and improve the existing stuff though... after all, the football is being farmed out to other cites... But no good crying over spilt milk now!

Onwards and [hopefully] upwards!

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
A huge part of East London has been regenerated .

That's what the propaganda says, but the reality is different. The part of the East End which was SUPPOSED to be regenerated is no longer to be involved in the Olympics and will not be regenerated as it is "Not attractive enough" fpr TV. Even though it was the inclusion of areas like Whitechapel, Bethnal Green &c which won us the Olympic bid.

I wish I could say what I would liek to do with SeB Coe and a spork, but I think I may be booted off the forum....

Archie_tect

They might not be fantastic at the event, but the fireworks on the uploaded video and You Tube link of them will be spectacular.... call me cynical.

dawesome

The Olympics have shifted the centre of gravity in London, the attendant Westfield development and the Manhattanisation of Stratford High Street have brought thousands of jobs to the poorest boroughs in the country. Long term Stratford International will serve Amsterdam, Paris and Frankfurt.

From this:

19b4f6220.jpg

To this:

ibc.jpg

dawesome

The 500-acre Olympic Park will re-open in 2013 as the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, first under the auspices of tThe 500-acre Olympic Park will re-open in 2013 as the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, first under the auspices of the Olympic Park Legacy Company, with subsequent developments being driven forward by the recently announced Mayoral Development Corporation.he Olympic Park Legacy Company, with subsequent developments being driven forward by the recently announced Mayoral Development Corporation.

http://www.stratfordlondon.info/developments/queen-elizabeth-olympic-park

Top Bottom