Olympus out of Camera Biz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My expertise ended at the Zorki 4.
I had one of them, picked up from a second hand shop in the seventies.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I've had quite a bit of success with full frame digital cameras - until the weight became too much and I dropped to Fuji.
But I hanker after a nice medium format film camera. Large format is probably beyond my dreams, but then I'll never get MF either.
I came within a whisker of picking up a Bronica ETRSi - I loved that camera but the sheer mass and expense of different lenses was beyond me. The shop I worked in sold everything, but it was a notable day if we sold anything medium format - Bronica, Rollei, Hasselblad, Pentax 645 (liked this too) etc.

I came within a whisker of picking up a Bronica ETRSi - I loved that camera but the sheer mass and expense of different lenses was beyond me. The shop I worked in sold everything, but it was a notable day if we sold anything medium format - Bronica, Rollei, Hasselblad, Pentax 645 (liked this too) etc.
Yes, you really have to be a died in the wool enthusiast to go to the lengths and expense needed for that level of gear.
I only once printed anything bigger than A4 (it's on my wall) and the majority of my work was viewed on computer/phone screens.
I'm not sure I am or was committed enough to warrant starting out down that road.

Shame about Olympus more to follow i wonder?
These East German SLR's were defunct by early 90s, but got me in to proper photography. Lenses used to regularly fall apart i seem to remember?

figbat

Slippery scientist
Shame about Olympus more to follow i wonder?
These East German SLR's were defunct by early 90s, but got me in to proper photography. Lenses used to regularly fall apart i seem to remember?
View attachment 534758
I always considered Praktica to be the best of the "third world" manufacturers. They pioneered the ubiquitous M42 mount but later on adopted their own B-mount which meant lens options were limited. Decent bodies though, especially the older ones up to the M series.

OP
OP
M

MichaelW2

Guru
I always considered Praktica to be the best of the "third world" manufacturers. They pioneered the ubiquitous M42 mount but later on adopted their own B-mount which meant lens options were limited. Decent bodies though, especially the older ones up to the M series.
In my experience of using the MTL3, the std lens was optically excellent but mechanically weak and the body was crude but worked well.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
In a related vein, I recently mentioned Kodak over the dinner table, prompting bafflement from my eldest (24), who said it meant nothing to her and indeed she didn't think she'd ever come across the word. :ohmy:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yup. That's the one. Excellent condition. In an original case!
You after it? I dont use it very often so if it can go to someone who will get the best out of it I'm happy to talk.
No, after my Cameras were stolen in a burglary I got the insurance claim switched to a local Camera shop knowing that they had a NOS 90mm f2.5 manual (the original company wanted to replace the one I had stolen with the f 2.8 AF) so I own a pristine example that is possibly the last one ever sold by a shop. It is possibly the best 'Portrait' lens ever made and they still hold their value as with the 'Adaptall' mount they'll go onto any camera.

Top Bottom