Olympus out of Camera Biz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
My daughter collects vintage camera's she has a mint boxed Trip. they're still a great camera to use. Her everyday camera is a 1940's Roliflex!

My daughter collects vintage camera's she has a mint boxed Trip. they're still a great camera to use. Her everyday camera is a 1940's Roliflex!
Your daughter sounds like a good person to know. A Roliflex??? Nice.
I've had quite a bit of success with full frame digital cameras - until the weight became too much and I dropped to Fuji.
But I hanker after a nice medium format film camera. Large format is probably beyond my dreams, but then I'll never get MF either.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I worked in a photographic retailer in the late 80s - I sold a lot of new and used cameras, lenses and equipment. I was always (and still am) a Nikon guy, with Canon next (despite their weird, rotating bezel mount) and Olympus, Minolta and Pentax together after that. Olympus made some lovely bodies - the OM-1, OM-2N and the pant-wetting OM-4Ti with its spangly full-range flash sync speed - but some were a bit ordinary and the OM-10 had a very common electronics fault that saw a lot coming in for a repair that was so common the repair company had a fixed price for it.

It’s a shame to see them go though.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I started out with a Zenit E. Even before they were fitted with that crappy light meter. Reputedly made in a Russian Tractor factory. They could do you serious damage.
I once interviewed a professional photographer called Tim Page who said the great thing about Nikons was if you found yourself among people who meant you harm you could whirl them round like a conker and use them as a genuinely fearsome weapon, then take pictures, and they never missed a beat.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sorry, but this is probably back before the digital photography era, but here's the question....
Who made the camera that only took up half a film frame for each picture? Was it Olympus?
BTW, I'm absolutely rubbish at photography. My expertise ended at the Zorki 4.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sorry, but this is probably back before the digital photography era, but here's the question....
Who made the camera that only took up half a film frame for each picture? Was it Olympus?
BTW, I'm absolutely rubbish at photography. My expertise ended at the Zorki 4.
Dad had a Yashica that did that, it used 'slide'film as you couldn't easily get 'half frame' printed

1594164088993.png

It was weird cos it took Portrait if you held it flat and for Landscape you had to hold it as for Portrait on a standard 35mm

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That would be the Trip's little brother - the Pen:

View attachment 534722
That name sounds familiar! In the days when photography was a hideously expensive pastime, controlled by a monopoly, that camera was a godsend. I still can't quite my head around the idea that digital cameras make photography effectively cost-free in use. I went on a solo trip overland trip to Nepal and back in 1973...….and took just 36 photos. They were mainly rubbish BTW.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I used to have a Semflex, a french competitor. It was a twin lens reflex with 120 film.
Would like to dig that out again- i wonder where the hell it is!

OP
OP
M

MichaelW2

Guru
Your daughter sounds like a good person to know. A Roliflex??? Nice.
I've had quite a bit of success with full frame digital cameras - until the weight became too much and I dropped to Fuji.
But I hanker after a nice medium format film camera. Large format is probably beyond my dreams, but then I'll never get MF either.
When I worked in a camera shop with a good secondhand dept I would borrow stuff to try out. The Fuji 645 was a lightweight pro grade medium format range finder camera with a cracking lens. It doesn't surprise me that Fuji digital cameras are so highly rated.

Top Bottom