OMG..........OMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am not 100% sure but I was googling for a Reynolds frame and stumbled across something that may be my first ever race bike............I am pretty sure this actual bike is it, bought the frame from Kendall cycles in Castleford, and all the parts over a few months...........even the wheel stickers are the same (built by Gary Proud)..........surely this isn't my old Panasonic, even the old Rolls saddle is my old saddle

Raleigh-Team-Replica-1983_zps4fdbe870.jpg

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
gonna buy it back?

Venod

Eh up
Mavic MA2 wheels built by Gary Proud, I am not surprised the wheels are still going I had a pair built by Gary they were bulletproof, one of the best wheel-builders about, he has just built a pair of motorbike wheels for an old BSA Bantam a friend is renovating he is over the moon with them.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I thought those brakes looked like 105. Dare I say that seems a tad over-specced for what's surely a pretty entry-level sort of a frame? If you put a full 105 groupset on, it must have been worth more than the rest of the bike by quite a margin. O, hang on, I forgot those wheels...they must have been worth a few bob. In fact, the frame's the only weak link in the chain, looks to me.

Venod

Eh up
I thought those brakes looked like 105. Dare I say that seems a tad over-specced for what's surely a pretty entry-level sort of a frame? If you put a full 105 groupset on, it must have been worth more than the rest of the bike by quite a margin. O, hang on, I forgot those wheels...they must have been worth a few bob. In fact, the frame's the only weak link in the chain, looks to me.

Raleigh had some decent frames in the early 80's ( I am guessing the bike is from that era ) but I can't see any 531 stickers on this one, could be a respray and not refitted the stickers.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Raleigh had some decent frames in the early 80's ( I am guessing the bike is from that era ) but I can't see any 531 stickers on this one, could be a respray and not refitted the stickers.
They did, but that wasn't one of 'em. And no, it's not a respray...just a frame that wasn't made with anything at all special. It wouldn't have been *bad* - Raleighs of that era were always ok, at worst - but not good either. Put it this way, if I was going to go putting serious wheels and groupsets on a bike, I'd make sure the frame had at least 531 on to start with.

Venod

Eh up
Yes it does look a entry level frame as you say, I am just a bit surprised that Kendells sold an entry level frame by itself and the OP took the trouble to build it with decent parts.

Top Bottom