OMG What a difference :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just destroyed my best time up on the malvern hills on my new bike , i have been riding my 08 Carrera Banshee from new and in my own little word thought i could hold my own against most, I bought a Scott scale 40 on the weekend and unleased her on the same route i have been doing on my old Banshee. I have had a hard day at work and still took 11 mins of my best ever time just goes to show what 7.5kg difference in weight makes......erm wonder what it would be like on a carbon bike?

Cyclist33

I'm surprised there is that much weight difference, but well done!

doctornige

7.5kg does sound like a LOT. I don't know the bikes in question, but the difference between a decent alu bike and a UCI legal carbon one can be as little as 2-3 kg. to get something in the 12-14kg range, you might have to get a Raleigh tourer from 1986.

But, I agree on the difference weight makes. I took the alternative route and carved 10kg off my own body, and it has made a tremendous difference to climbing.

doctornige

Looked it up. A Scale 40 is 11kg. A banshee is about 15.4kg, but the 08 may have been heavier. My post above was not acknowledging that we are talking MTBs here!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Looked it up. A Scale 40 is 11kg. A banshee is about 15.4kg, but the 08 may have been heavier. My post above was not acknowledging that we are talking MTBs here!
Didn't think so!

I borrowed a Banshee for a test ride to try Full Sus against hardtail, and I'm afraid it was indeed a bit cumbersome.

Just destroyed my best time up on the malvern hills on my new bike , i have been riding my 08 Carrera Banshee from new and in my own little word thought i could hold my own against most, I bought a Scott scale 40 on the weekend and unleased her on the same route i have been doing on my old Banshee. I have had a hard day at work and still took 11 mins of my best ever time just goes to show what 7.5kg difference in weight makes......erm wonder what it would be like on a carbon bike?
That Scale is a nice well spec'd bike. Good choice, and as you've discovered, worlds apart from the Banshee.

VamP

Banned

Nice one :thumbsup:

A top end carbon HT might come in under 9kg, but you're talking big wonga. Into diminishing returns, thought still a very noticeable difference.

I took my road bike for it's first ride with winter wheels on yesterday (that and a small rucksack added about 3-4kg to my usual riding weight). 43 seconds difference up Box Hill at same PE. That's significant!

Top Bottom