Omloop Het Nieuwsblad / Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne Weekend - SPOILER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
So we have the first 'classics' weekend coming up for both the men and the women, with two semi-classics on Saturday and Sunday... who's going to be on top?

Philippe Gilbert for the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad - to join the triple winners club, with a strong showing from big Thor and Heinrich Haussler.

Tom Boonen for Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne? Again!

Skip Madness

I'd go along with both of dmoan's predictions, and add Kelly Druyts for the women's Het Nieuwsblad.

If Philippe Gilbert gets a couple more major classic wins under his belt - especially in things he hasn't already won like Flanders or Milano-Sanremo - he'll move from being an excellent current classics rider to a modern legend of one-day racing in my opinion.

Nice to see a British national team in the women's race, meaning altogether there are 11 Brits on the women's starting line by my count. There were some excellent showings last year - particularly from Annie Last and Jess Allen - so here's to hoping for a repeat.

Keith Oates

Janner
This early in the season there is no form to go by (even if there was I'd probably get it wrong) so I agree that DM's predictions seem pretty sound. I also have a feeling that one or more of the Sky riders will try to put up a good showing, we will have to wait and see.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raindog

er.....
Yep, I can't see past Boonen for Kuurne either.
Hey, the season's really getting under way now - bring it on! :smile:

SimonC

raindog said:
Yep, I can't see past Boonen for Kuurne either.
Hey, the season's really getting under way now - bring it on! :biggrin:

+1, and Ive just discovered I get British Eurosport on my Tiscali/Talk Talk Box for free, happy days, the missus cant wait to spend hours on Sundays to come watching Roubaix, Flanders etc on telly.:smile:

monnet

Guru
SimonC said:
+1, and Ive just discovered I get British Eurosport on my Tiscali/Talk Talk Box for free, happy days, the missus cant wait to spend hours on Sundays to come watching Roubaix, Flanders etc on telly.:laugh:

Hmmm! 'Tis the season for domestics (or domestiques?)!

The clocks will change soon, the evening training runs will start, there'll be races to race and the club TT's to ride and then of course the epic Sunday's. Out of the door at 0830 for a 4 hour clubrun. Back in time to have a shower and sit down to 4 hours of fine classics coverage. Then comes summer with all day every day grand tour coverage. Happy days indeed...

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I am well pleased today - this time last year, I was continually hoping that Flecha, one of my long-time favourite riders, would finally win a classic. And this year he has done it at last, with a great win in the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad. It's a tribute to the Sky backroom team that they've managed to get the best out of a talented rider who had never seemed to quite get there previously. And they will be doubly pleased with Boassen-Hagen also coming in 6th.

Keith Oates

Janner
You're right FM, it was a great result for Flecha and also a good start for Sky so like you I'm a happy man this morning when reading that news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now let's see how things go today (Sunday)!!!!!!!!!!!

raindog

er.....
Flying_Monkey said:
And they will be doubly pleased with Boassen-Hagen also coming in 6th.
In fact, for a minute it looked like "Eddy" was going to make it a double for Sky.
Great win for Flecha - apparently the first Spaniard to win Het Volk.

Where are all the people who sneered at Sky and said they wouldn't win anything?:laugh:

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Blimey indeed. It's particularly good for young Stannard, who has been coming on well this season though - he is turning into a classic 'strongman' rider and tough conditions like this really seem to suit him.

Top Bottom