On her bike for 70 years........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mac66

Go Hilda,

That's a pretty mean looking machine she's got there. I was expecting a sit up and beg.

Last year when I was riding the C2C I was sat outside the Hartside Cafe having a cuppa and an older lady from the coach trip that had parked up outside came to talk to me. She was 82, and told me that she'd cycled for pretty much 50 years, toured Europe and the UK on a tandem with her husband. She related some really funny tales to me. For an 82 year old she looked really sprightly, and in excellent health. I said to her that if I looked as good as she did at her age then I'd keep cycling too!

simoncc

She was a late starter at 12. In 1984 I was cycling down Wensleydale en route to see freinds in Richmond. I met a cyclist who was riding a superb 1950's touring bike. We had a chat and he said he was 84. He looked very fit and I often wondered over the years if he was still cycling. He'd be 108 now so maybe not.

Dave5N

Über Member
There's a chap in his late seventies races cyclocross in the WMCCL.

Beats a few almost half his age. And 'cross is bloody hard.

snorri

Legendary Member
I asked an 80+ year old touring cyclist I met in the hostel at Stromness if he was touring alone. "Oh yes" he said "All my friends got married so I just cycle on my own now"
It didn't seem to have dawned on him that the grandchildren of his cycling friends were probably also married by this time.;)

hubgearfreak

Über Member
excellent:biggrin:

can members local to halifax tell me whether this pic of her in 1948 was taken in heptonstall?

TH0_63200841C40C3943hilda.jpg

All credit, but she is a mere Spring Chicken...

There was I believe in South London / Sussex a group called the "Midweek Wayfarer's who numbered several octogenarians, a couple of nonagenarians and a few "youngsters" in their 70's.

I was priveleged to meet the late Ron Beams on several occasions. Ron sadly died before his 100th Birthday, but was still cycling at 99. A real "Gentleman of the Road" and a superb advocate for cycling especially HPVs

As I have always said - if you think there is a risk to your health form cycling look at the age of the obituary column in the CTC magazine.

A quick google has come up with a couple of photos..

The Wayfarers...

Ron_Beams1.jpg

Ron Beams on his 99th Birthday..

Ron_Beams3.jpg

FRom the South London DA website

Top Bottom