On Line Maps and County Boundaries.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianbarton

Veteran
I was trying to work out which counties (England) various bits of a ride were going through. It seems that neither Strava Maps nor Ride With GPS Maps can show County boundaries unless I have missed something obvious in the settings.

Mike_P

Guru
I was trying to work out which counties (England) various bits of a ride were going through. It seems that neither Strava Maps nor Ride With GPS Maps can show County boundaries unless I have missed something obvious in the settings.

Can't say I've ever seen them. Case of following the route on OS maps available through Bing mapping.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
OpenStreetMaps shows county boundaries and I think you can select OSM as an option in the map drop-down for Ride with GPS (unless I’m much mistaken).

You are correct:

1689356267332.png

Always Cross

Veteran
Wandrer earth will do it. It takes ride your rides from Strava and shows them on a map it even goes down to towns and villages. Showing how many miles you have ridden and and how many you have left In a village, town or county. It works like a heat map showing the roads you have ridden and the ones you haven’t it even shows tracks and footpaths if you want it to. It can be a addictive and makes you ride to places you wouldn’t think of to get new roads.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Bing maps are really good for this. Put in the name of a county in the search box and it is highlighted, with boundaries clearly visible. Also it will show OS maps. Unfortunately I don't know any route planner that uses bing maps

Ride With GPS has a number of different map overlays available. Two different OSM ones, Google and their own plus a topo one and satellite images). You can see boundaries marked OK if you select OSM in the RWGPS editor but they aren't super clear, not as good as bing maps or OS maps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom