ON NOW - LBC should cyclists be on A roads at night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I can't receive LBC, but are they missing something?

Thankfully I can't receive it here much either, but occasionally a foul wind brings it up the A11 for some reason. Imagine being trapped in a room full of half witted cockney pub bores. That's pretty much LBC in a nutshell- so you're missing nowt!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Mine includes over 8 miles of A631. Obviously at this time of year it's too dark to not have lights on. Thats for both legs of the commute. IMO Looking at the alternative non A road route, I'd not be bothered about the few extra miles, but the roads and the way they're driven definitely make it a more hazardous option.

gavintc

Guru
Give me nitrous boosters for my bike, so I can answer yes to this... otherwise, it's just insane. Even in the day, 60mph limit? That is a full-on, hardcore sprint on a £700 racer after coming down an enormous hill for anyone, but if you're going slower than 40 on a 60mph road you are asking for trouble.

Keep taking the pills for your nervous disposition. Contrary to what you read, you are actually pretty safe on the roads of UK. I and many other cyclists, cycle A roads every day.

Years ago I used to commute from School in Hull to my parents' boat near Brandesburton one or two evenings a week. The quickest way was up Wawne Road / Meaux Road - at night it was pretty scary. No magicshines, no CREEs in those days - Ever Ready Night Riders were as good as it got.

I did come a cropper once on that road when I failed to see a pothole one winter evening - no big deal I was young enough to bounce then.

But in winter I was always thankful to get to the main Hull Road between Tickton and Leven with it's streetlights and busy traffic lighting everything up. Though to be fair that main road seems to be something of a blackspot for cycle collisions now..

On the darkest months though I did the extra 3 or 4 miles longer A road route through Beverley - longer but it didn't half FEEL safer

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My commute's on A-roads. In fact, I'd not be able to get into work or back without using them - no matter which way I go.

bjellys

I feel just as safe on A roads on the way home in the dark, as I do when cycling in the light. Then again, I have very bright lights, 3 front, 4 rear fitted to my wide trike. One fact is that since the clocks went back, cars are hanging back more before overtaking.
You need to try the A339 Basingstoke to Newbury road in the dark ,you would need to be suicidal it is narrow has loads of bends and and full of lorries going from M4 to M3 .I don't like driving let alone cycling on that road day or night.
In a ideal world Bikes would not share the same road as lorries or cars.

subaqua

What’s the point
Years ago I used to commute from School in Hull to my parents' boat near Brandesburton one or two evenings a week. The quickest way was up Wawne Road / Meaux Road - at night it was pretty scary. No magicshines, no CREEs in those days - Ever Ready Night Riders were as good as it got.

I did come a cropper once on that road when I failed to see a pothole one winter evening - no big deal I was young enough to bounce then.

But in winter I was always thankful to get to the main Hull Road between Tickton and Leven with it's streetlights and busy traffic lighting everything up. Though to be fair that main road seems to be something of a blackspot for cycle collisions now..

On the darkest months though I did the extra 3 or 4 miles longer A road route through Beverley - longer but it didn't half FEEL safer

I found my nightriders when i was sorting out my dads house a few weeks ago. I had the red body front light as it had a brighter xenon lamp. that chewed batteries quicker than the quickest thing from quicktown. They recommended everready goldcell batteries ( blue cell silvercell and goldcell were the range back then) i used to use them in the winter when i was doing 30 milers after school on a roads , including the A541 between caergwrle and Mold- fast dual carriageway with a nasty single lane section through pontblyddyn.

subaqua

What’s the point
You need to try the A339 Basingstoke to Newbury road in the dark ,you would need to be suicidal it is narrow has loads of bends and and full of lorries going from M4 to M3 .I don't like driving let alone cycling on that road day or night.
In a ideal world Bikes would not share the same road as lorries or cars.

NO in an ideal world we would all be able to use the same roadspace safely as there would be proper punishment for not doing so. segregated cycle infrastructure is not the way forward.

Top Bottom