ON NOW - LBC should cyclists be on A roads at night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bradley wiggins and British cycling coach accidents and then relate this to, should cyclist be on a roads at night.

So did these two famous cyclist have their accidents on A roads and was they at night?

Typical blame the cyclists again ........

Monsieur

Freedom of the road and all that but I certainly wouldn't want to cycle on an A road at night - not round me anyway

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
My last two miles is on 60mph A-roads and is one of my least liked parts of my commute, but it's all down hill so at least I'm doing a fair speed.

Matt1705

Über Member
Unless I double my commute, i have about 4 miles on a fairly windy 50 mph A road. Try not to think about it too much even if everyone is see at work thinks I'm crazy :confused:

Kookas

Über Member
Give me nitrous boosters for my bike, so I can answer yes to this... otherwise, it's just insane. Even in the day, 60mph limit? That is a full-on, hardcore sprint on a £700 racer after coming down an enormous hill for anyone, but if you're going slower than 40 on a 60mph road you are asking for trouble.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Give me nitrous boosters for my bike, so I can answer yes to this... otherwise, it's just insane. Even in the day, 60mph limit? That is a full-on, hardcore sprint on a £700 racer after coming down an enormous hill for anyone, but if you're going slower than 40 on a 60mph road you are asking for trouble.
I cycled to brighton today and did many many miles on 60mph single lane A roads. My speed barely went about 18mph and was mostly at 14mph. I was fine.

Like I said previously. It really depends on the A road.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

WTF are you on about!

Nebulous

Guru
I spend much of my cycling time on 60 mph roads. Sometimes I can go 5 minutes or more without seeing a car! As far as I'm concerned its safer than being in town. I also do a round trip in the early morning, returning to town with a lot of commuter traffic on a A road. I get passed by dozens of commuters, regularly with a car coming the other way, and have managed to survive so far. I suppose it depends what you are used to.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I feel just as safe on A roads on the way home in the dark, as I do when cycling in the light. Then again, I have very bright lights, 3 front, 4 rear fitted to my wide trike. One fact is that since the clocks went back, cars are hanging back more before overtaking.

Hip Priest

Veteran

Almost all of my training is done on NSL roads!

Davidc

Guru
If I can't go on A roads at night I am effectively banned from cycling at night.

There are some I choose not to use at any time, others I choose not to use after dark, but there are others where I have no problem at any time, and need to use to get anywhere useful.

Now, did I miss the other should question?

Should drivers travel at such speeds at night that they cannot see other road users ahead in time to react?

That sums it up rather well.

Kookas

Über Member
I spend much of my cycling time on 60 mph roads. Sometimes I can go 5 minutes or more without seeing a car! As far as I'm concerned its safer than being in town. I also do a round trip in the early morning, returning to town with a lot of commuter traffic on a A road. I get passed by dozens of commuters, regularly with a car coming the other way, and have managed to survive so far. I suppose it depends what you are used to.

I suppose cars do still have a duty to give you space. My issue would be in rush hour traffic the cars behind want to get past, but can't due to the lanes being full. So instead they might do something stupid.

Most of my commute is on 'A' roads. Although I would generally avoid dual carriageway, not because its dangerous but simply because I don't enjoy riding on it.

But why the presumption that banning cyclists from 'A' roads after dark would make things safer? On the whole aren't 'A' roads wider and have better lighting? If a motorist can't avoid us on wide well lit roads, then we have no chance on 'B' roads.

Top Bottom