On-One Picknflick - Flat bar build?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Planet X currently have the above frame & fork available for 'only' £500 and I'm tempted to get one now and build it up into a fast(ish) flat bar next year picking bits up as I can afford them. I have no need for pannier mounts and the lack of mudguard mounts isn't a problem as this would be for mostly dry use. Size large for me at 5'11" seems the way to go.

I've been riding my current flat bar & 29er bikes much more this year and I have a preference for Ti so why not have the best of both worlds?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FROOTIPFCC/on-one-pickenflick-titanium-cyclocross-frameset

Any foreseeable drawbacks?

vickster

Legendary Member
Make sure you size up correctly...you’ll need a bigger frame than if a drop bar. Measure up against current. Otherwise, enjoy!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Sizing's my main concern - my other two flat bars are the Giant Rapid 1 & 13 Implicit Alpha - both in large, where the linked geometries seem to indicate I should look at the extra large Pickenflick frame.
I have been looking at Planet X frames recently and their sizing seems to be a step out of line with everyone else's. Their frames are smaller than you would expect in the seat tube department so I wouldn't be surprised if you did need to go up at least one size from your normal.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Any foreseeable drawbacks?

You may develop a Ti addiction which could prove costly :laugh:

Their frames are smaller than you would expect in the seat tube department so I wouldn't be surprised if you did need to go up at least one size from your normal.

When manufacturers use s/m/l etc for sizing I've always had XL size frames, however with PX I had to go for XXL which restricted the options, as not all frames are available in XXL :sad: Would have been a possible for my last Ti purchase had they done a suitable sized frame

gaijintendo

Veteran
I ride a couple of kaffenbacks, and i concur with @vickster ordered my flat bar too small because I used the road frame recommendation, and assisted it up (successfully).
Plonked for the biker frame when I built one up for the road and it went well.

Obviously, if you can't sit on one, take the word of a Pickenflick owner over mine, but they seem to like small sizing, which I believe some Racer types prefer too.

OP
OP
Jenkins

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Typical of Planet X's random pricing, this went back up to £700 today

So it's a good job that I paid for the XL size last night at £500 ^_^

Can't afford to get the major parts until next year when my savings account pays out, but this should give me a couple of months to decide on the spec and to price up the parts. Some of the smaller/cheaper items may find their way onto my Xmas list.
Thanks for all your thoughts on the sizing.

Top Bottom