On road inner tube repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
2 tubes and a tip top puncture kit.
I used ready glued patches once in the 90's but they leaked. Never again.
Can't see the appeal of puncture resistant tyres as from experience, they're a bit/very dead feeling.
Can't see myself doing something stupid enough to warrant a tyre boot and if the tyre does get that wrecked I sure as hell don't wanna use it. So ETA is for that.
The wonder of my Pendle is that if it is chucking down, the tube can be repaired under its lid :smile:
One thing I learnt a few years ago was to keep the spare tubes in individual plastic bags. I heard this trick from a CTC forum member but thought he was talking balony. Over time, the tubes move around in your saddle bag and surprisingly, can wear holes in the tube.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Tubeless now so worm kit and a spare tube (neither used yet) with tubes, on long rides 2 tubes Skabs or similar and tyre boot, shorter rides one tube, I find self adhesive patches very hit and miss, I have in the past took a full repair kit with adhesive and used it, but its a bit of a faff.

Last edited:
Good morning,
  1. One tube
  2. One full repair kit from Poundland and the rubber solution from a second.
I tend to get pinchflats from potholes, 210lbs on 700x25 rather than "real" punctures.

Pinchflats I usually don't try and fix roadside as I struggle to get a decent fix, other punctures I fix and put back into my polythene bag to dry and then use the spare tube.

If I get a second puncture I can use the hopefully repaired tube.

Although a lot of kits no longer include them I have recently needed to use the cloth patch on a tyre that had a hole in the side.

Bye

Ian

I think you have it covered already. I carry:
  1. Two tubes
  2. Skabs
  3. Full repair kit
  4. Tyre boot
  5. £20 emergency money in case I've already spent my cafe cash.
Beyond this I'm not sure what else one can reasonably do. Three tubes leaves no room in my bag for other essentials.

I replace the repair kit every 12-18 months. It's only been used once in ten years.
This is exactly what I do.

Will always try and repair the punctured one first and keep the spares spare.
Curious - sounds like a lot of trouble. Can I ask why? Something you were taught by an old master/mentor?
I carry two spares and a repair kit, should be more careful to ensure glue ok. Have recently taken to carrying emergency patches as well though don't really trust such things and hope not to use. Tip top patches really are great - some of mine have been on tyres for years and rears, tubes with multiple patches. Must stop buying more tubes - don't need. Best to minimise punctures by regular tyre checking.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No ride ending punctures for me since going tubeless.

I have seen small amounts of sealant in the tyre tread, so I reckon tubeless has saved me a handful of times.

Notwithstanding, I still carry a tube and Skabs.

Since going tubeless, a worm kit has been added.

Tubeless has worked well for me, at a cost of extra faff in the house and extra stuff on the bike.

One thing I learnt a few years ago was to keep the spare tubes in individual plastic bags. I heard this trick from a CTC forum member but thought he was talking balony. Over time, the tubes move around in your saddle bag and surprisingly, can wear holes in the tube.
Yes yes. I use bread bags taped shut. If you have several bikes with different tyres/valves etc, make sure they are clearly labelled.

Sharky

Guru
Curious - sounds like a lot of trouble. Can I ask why? Something you were taught by an old master/mentor?
I carry two spares and a repair kit, should be more careful to ensure glue ok. Have recently taken to carrying emergency patches as well though don't really trust such things and hope not to use. Tip top patches really are great - some of mine have been on tyres for years and rears, tubes with multiple patches. Must stop buying more tubes - don't need. Best to minimise punctures by regular tyre checking.
When I take the tyre off, I always look for the hole and the cause. If obvious, I glue a patch on straight away. Wait a few minutes and check and if holding, put it straight back. Always think that if I didn't find the cause and puncture again, I would rather have a brand new inner to use fall back on, rather that an untested one I'd just repaired.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Covered up thread. As I don’t have SAG waggon to sweep me back to civilisation, I spend a bit more time making sure the perpetrator is out the tyre and any patch (Skab or similar) is perfect. And I’m careful getting the tube and tyre back in without pinching. Easiest when you put some air in the tube to give it some form. Seems to help seat the tyre better too.

Punctures only happen at night and when it’s raining in my world. I know why and I don’t want you telling me otherwise. I am a very bitter individual.

Top Bottom