On road inner tube repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
are they worried about the weight penalty of a patch?

Who could blame them? That patch is towards the outer edge of a wheel, think of the rotational penalties.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If I know where the hole is, then it's easy to patch (trad with glue) and replace. Otherwise, stick a new tube in. Always check the tyre for the cause.
My spare tubes live in the third bottle cage under the downtube on most of my bikes, so never get left behind or mislaid.
I have gone tubeless on the newest.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm not happy with relying on a previously punctured and repaired tube. This could sit in my bag for a significant period during which deterioration could take place to the repair.

I have a responsibility to myself to stay safe. This is why I feel carrying repaired tubes is not responsible. What others chose to do is for them to decide. I've made no judgement as to whether or not that behaviour is responsible.

Speaking for myself I prefer to use more measured language when responding to posts.

Don't tell the Extinction Rebellion. I'll re-use tubes, no problem, never had a repair 'let go' when in use. It's more land fill not repairing tubes !

lane

Veteran
Of course if my mate (mentioned up thread) did not repair his tubes he wouldn't have ended up with a spare that hadn't been repaired. Although it only took him a couple of minutes to repair it and pop it back in from which point it was fine for the rest of the tour and probably still is. Would have taken me somewhat longer I suspect.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Is there much difference between the various brands of inner tube and might this affect repairability / reliability?

This is the blurb from the Schwalbe website :

Besides the quality of the ingredients, the purity of the rubber compound is decisive for the quality of the tube. Before extrusion, the basic material is forced through a total of seven filters under enormous pressure. All tubes are inserted and inflated into a mold for the vulcanization process. Only this ensures an even wall thickness and high air retention.
All tubes are inflated and stored for 24 hours to test for air retention. Afterwards, every tube is carefully checked individually by visual inspection. The Schwalbe tube has been valued by German bicycle dealers for its high reliability for many years.
A tube covers many tire sizes through its high elasticity and quality. Tube no. 17 works with tires from a width of 28 mm up to 47 mm - a great advantage for stockholding in the trade. At the same time, it is proof of the quality of the tube.
All valves are nickel-plated and threaded. The valve core is always replaceable. Also, Schwalbe tubes with a classic bicycle valve can be inspected for pressure as they have a high-pressure valve core.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well some I know are promoted as lightweight. I avoid those like the plague.
I did ride with a guy who used latex tubes for "best" (TTs, triathlons etc). I think that's due to hysteresis/rolling resistance rather than weight though.

Whether butyl ones are tougher than latex, or whether the latex would stretch and deform around a sharp object without actually getting punctured ... I have no idea.

Top Bottom