Oncoming bus overtakers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This has happened a few times and most recently tonight.

Basically if a bus is stopped the opposite way the cars overtake coming towards me in my lane. They seem to have a herd mentality and just follow the car in front irrespective of me coming. I've tried beng in primary and secondary , crawling up or being assertive but it seems to be they still come.

Granted tonight was dark but I have flashing front bike light and flashing front helmet light and hi-viz so no real excuse of not seeing me. It seems ridiculous that I'm forced to stop and let all the oncoming cars pull into my lane although obviously if that's the only safe way then so be it.

Any advice?

Buddfox

Veteran
It's a game of chicken and they assume they will win - so no easy answer. Technically of course you have right of way since they're encroaching into your lane, but that doesn't really help. Strong primary, make it abundantly clear you're coming through and be prepared to brake hard?

400bhp

Guru
It's a game of chicken and they assume they will win - so no easy answer. Technically of course you have right of way since they're encroaching into your lane, but that doesn't really help. Strong primary, make it abundantly clear you're coming through and be prepared to brake hard?

I'm not sure you do, if they get there first?

Herbie

Veteran

Basically if a bus is stopped the opposite way the cars overtake coming towards me in my lane. They seem to have a herd mentality and just follow the car in front irrespective of me coming. I've tried beng in primary and secondary , crawling up or being assertive but it seems to be they still come.

Granted tonight was dark but I have flashing front bike light and flashing front helmet light and hi-viz so no real excuse of not seeing me. It seems ridiculous that I'm forced to stop and let all the oncoming cars pull into my lane although obviously if that's the only safe way then so be it.

Any advice?

I know its annoying but your safety is more important than anything else just hold back and keep yourself safe...lifes too short and you could be a long time dead or in a wheelchair

daSmirnov

One of my pet peeves this. Cars charging towards me, without even slowing down, on my side of the road.

I know one day I will give their wing mirrors a good smack.

Any advice?

Not really any advice, I have this happen on my motorbike the other evening. I just came to a controlled stop instead of slamming the brakes on, which brought me alongside the cab of the bus head to head with the car that had been coming the other way.

The driver motioned at me to reverse!

The bus set off, and the car went back onto the correct side of the road and I carried on.

the obstruction is on their side of the road, as such, if you are at the narrow section then you have right of way, if they feel they can safely pass without inconveniencing yourself, they can go.

same as all the pinch points that are around the place.

Drago

Legendary Member
I just stop in the road in the primary, stand to my full height, cross my arms and flex my lats.

PS, there is no such thing as right of way. There is 'priority', but this is sonething you give, not take, if you want to live to be old.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I know what you mean about the cars all overtaking like sheep, and see this regularly. Even driving a car you often have to stop and wait for the pushy few to make it past the parked bus, when it's your priority.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep, but what they gonna do? I don't care what they think, just so long as they realise I'm not playing their game and riding in the gutter just to suit them.

Top Bottom