One at a time, or both together?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I tend to find that I will wear out one cleat much faster than the other. As an experiment, I've replaced the worn out 'foot down' (left shoe) cleat, with the (not very worn) right shoe cleat, and put the new cleat on the right side shoe. This seems to work well, and means I could get twice the life out of one set of replacements. I always used to just replace the pair at the same time. I wonder if I've been missing a trick here :smile:.

MisterStan

Label Required
You've definitely been missing a trick.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I tend to find that I will wear out one cleat much faster than the other. As an experiment, I've replaced the worn out 'foot down' (left shoe) cleat, with the (not very worn) right shoe cleat, and put the new cleat on the right side shoe. This seems to work well, and means I could get twice the life out of one set of replacements. I always used to just replace the pair at the same time. I wonder if I've been missing a trick here :smile:.
Yes - you've been missing a trick. I do what you now do, but thinking about it, is there any point in moving the RH cleat? Wouldn't you get exactly the same wear if you simply replaced the LH one?

MisterStan

Label Required
If you were to swap the cleats from L-R (or R-L!) once a month then the wear on them would be more even, hence they would last longer as a pair. This is assuming that you always unclip the same foot each time you stop...

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I always wear the LHS cleat quicker. I tend to replace both, and transfer the part worn ones onto the winter boots.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If you were to swap the cleats from L-R (or R-L!) once a month then the wear on them would be more even, hence they would last longer as a pair. This is assuming that you always unclip the same foot each time you stop...
I can see that, but over time would you get more wear out of your cleats than simply replacing the badly worn one each time?

Is it a straight 2:1 wear ratio? or more like 1.5:1?
How many cleat changes both left and right would it take before you had to replace both of them at the same time? This is something that really needs in depth research. Probably some sort of spreadsheet recording cleat wear measurements. And a long term government funded grant for cleat replacement research.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Good idea but won't work for me.

My left cleat kept squeaking (not fixed by faffing with tension settings, greasing bolts or swearing).

I swapped them side to side and now there is no squeak on the left pedal and amazingly none on the right.

I'd rather them wear out prematurely (?) than have the mousey squeak back.

Top Bottom