One bike for road/gravel riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Surly Cross-Check ;)

310267909_10160095377502486_84146426653356590_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Hallett 'Adventure'. Decent off-road machine. Happy on a lumpy 600k. Takes panniers, front bags. Can't fault it. Not off-the-peg though.
IMG-20211114-WA0020.jpg

Hi

I have a touring bike (Genesis TdF) but I’m now looking to also buy a bike that would be good for both offroad/gravel rides (nothing very extreme but perhaps some bikepacking trips) and road riding (day rides typically 30-60 miles). Just wondered what other people’s experiences are who use the same bike for both road/gravel.

Do you have a second set of tyres/wheels for different uses? Or are there tyres that can handle both uses quite well?

I was thinking something like a Genesis Croix de Fer would fit the bill quite well.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Ti Planet X Tempest will do everything you want. They'll fit a double chainset groupset if you want.

I do have two sets of wheels but you can make do with one set easily and then just change the tyres and tubes if you want to.

32mm Conti Gatorskins have seen me through 100 milers and some dry gravel rides.

I've 38mm knobblies for the winter but you'd not want them really for long road rides unless you want a better workout.

Lovely ride from the titanium frame and no worries about the paint getting scratched.

rivers

How far can I go?
I have an Orro Terra C that I use for mainly gravel/bikepacking in the summer and then becomes the winter road bike around this time of year. It's not as fast as my dedicated road bike, but it isn't slow. I have a second set of wheels with some 32mm slicks (and 40 mm knobblies for the summer). I keep the cassette the same across both bikes for ease (although mine isn't ideal for on road, but I made some changes to the stock build so its easier).

Winter riding

IMG_20220929_161948_527.jpg

Bikepacking
20220812_054855.jpg

Attachments

• 20220812_054855.jpg
    20220812_054855.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
E

EdinburghRider

Thanks for everyone's comments on this so far which have given me plenty of food for thought. Perhaps given the kind of cycling I do/want to do I'm overthinking things, and I should look to my Genesis TdF (which has Schwalbe Marathons 35mm) as a jack of all trades.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Do you have a second set of tyres/wheels for different uses? Or are there tyres that can handle both uses quite well?

I have 2 sets of wheels for my gravel bike and use it as a mudguard clad winter road bike.

You could have one set and use something like a panaracer gravelking semi slick+ which is a good compromise for both, only very marginally slower on the road but comes well with dry offroad surfaces.... but if you get into anything muddy off-road then you need something with more knobbles which is more compromised on the road.

I have the 38mm Gravel king SK+ for off road and some 28mm slicks for road.

There are pro's and con's - mainly greater range of surfaces you can handle vs cost.

Two sets of tyres and 10 mins to change them pre ride is the other option, if for example you think a semi slick would work most of the time. the advantage of a semi slick is you can hoon off down a bridleway if the mood takes you mid road ride!

Note Schwalbe G one also have range of knobble / tread sizes like the gravel kings.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I guess this is a Micky take? Have read several stories of titanium cracking and really don't see the appeal. Ok, it rides like steel, but cracks like aluminium. Why not just get a good steel frame?

I ride Alu, steel and carbon but do not feel it is necessary to try the compromise that Ti seems to offer....

Of course, if you feel the need to ride a frame that doesn't need painting like aluminium, but feels like steel, then go ahead and try Ti. Just don't complain when it falls short of the life expectancy of a good steel frame painted silver :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Do you have this post on a macro ready to use every time Ti is mentioned ? If not then think of the time saving !

I guess this is a Micky take? Have read several stories of titanium cracking and really don't see the appeal. Ok, it rides like steel, but cracks like aluminium. Why not just get a good steel frame?

I ride Alu, steel and carbon but do not feel it is necessary to try the compromise that Ti seems to offer....

Of course, if you feel the need to ride a frame that doesn't need painting like aluminium, but feels like steel, then go ahead and try Ti. Just don't complain when it falls short of the life expectancy of a good steel frame painted silver :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Everyone's had steel. Heavy. Rusts. Needs painting. I don't care that my Ti might not last forever but neither did my 653 frame - that corroded and it was a lot more expensive than my Ti was.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Reading through this thread, I think I'm in the distinct minority of not seeing the need for separate wheels or tires for road or winter use. My gravel bike is currently running 47mm Terravail rutland tires and before that, 44m WTB Radlers and I must admit I've never really found either of them to be particularly energy sapping on roads or lacking in grip off-road. I like to ride the widest tires I can because in the summer here the soil is very loose and sandy and the wider tires tend to stay on the surface better rather than digging in, the same in winter when it all turns to mud.

I also run them tubeless and typically have them at about 32 - 35 PSI. I have experimented with slightly higher pressures if I'm going to be purely road riding, but mostly they stay in the low 30's. I do a lot of mixed terrain riding year round, as well as longer bikepacking trips and the tires handle pretty much anything that's thrown at them.

GuyBoden

Guru
I'd take the mudguards off your Genesis TdF, remove the tyres and measure the gap between the rim and frame. Order the biggest Gravel/MTB tyres that will fit without rubbing on your frame. You'll be surprised what a transformation bigger tyres make to the bike off road.

This is what I did with my Sabbath Silk Route tourer this summer, I have Sputnik 19mm rims, which will take a max 51mm tyre.

I have a WTB 42mm tyre on the rear and a 51mm Schwalbe MTB tyre on the front, due to more clearance on the front. I think I enjoyed the off road riding too much over the summer.

I've put the mudguards and 28mm tyres back on the bike for winter road riding, all good.^_^

Reading through this thread, I think I'm in the distinct minority of not seeing the need for separate wheels or tires for road or winter use. My gravel bike is currently running 47mm Terravail rutland tires and before that, 44m WTB Radlers and I must admit I've never really found either of them to be particularly energy sapping on roads or lacking in grip off-road. I like to ride the widest tires I can because in the summer here the soil is very loose and sandy and the wider tires tend to stay on the surface better rather than digging in, the same in winter when it all turns to mud.

I also run them tubeless and typically have them at about 32 - 35 PSI. I have experimented with slightly higher pressures if I'm going to be purely road riding, but mostly they stay in the low 30's. I do a lot of mixed terrain riding year round, as well as longer bikepacking trips and the tires handle pretty much anything that's thrown at them.

There's a world of difference between 25mm slicks and 44mm tyres on the road. If you tried them you'd definitely notice.

I notice that my 32mm tyres take it out of me compared to the same bike on 25mms but unless I'm trying to keep up over a long distance with proper race bikes - it's not an issue.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
There's a world of difference between 25mm slicks and 44mm tyres on the road. If you tried them you'd definitely notice.

I notice that my 32mm tyres take it out of me compared to the same bike on 25mms but unless I'm trying to keep up over a long distance with proper race bikes - it's not an issue.

absolutely this.

If i go out on road with the OH in winter then I sometime leave the offroad tyres on as I'm a stronger rider so it doesnt matter, nut if I go out with a mates then I put on the 28mm slick road tyres on, otherwise I'd be slowing them down.

I am assuming @chriswoody is usually riding alone

rualexander

Legendary Member
I have 700x28 on my road bike and 26x50 on my touring bike, both with road treads.
My average speed over a standard 56km local route is the same on both bikes, possibly 0.5km/h higher on the touring bike.
The touring bike has a Rohloff hub, the road bike has 1x11 derailleur gears.
The touring bike is heavier, but it is more comfortable, and not any slower.

So, yes you would notice the difference on the road between 25mm slicks and 44mm tyres but not necessarily in the way you might think.

chriswoody

Legendary Member

I have 25mm slicks on the Bamboo bike, so I am aware there is a difference. Like @T4tomo mentions, I do always ride alone and I don't use strava or any other apps to record my speed. For me it's all about comfort and long distance riding and I genuinely feel no major difference between the bamboo bike and my gravel bike, I can quite comfortably ride long days without it taking it out of me. Now put a timer on me or put me in a group and yes there probably is a difference, but in my day to riding I can't feel any difference at all and really don't see the need to change my tires to suit different terrain.

I know I am an outlier in this though and I'm not refuting anyone else's experiences or thoughts, just recounting my experiences and feelings on the subject.

Top Bottom