One bike for road/gravel riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EdinburghRider

Hi

I have a touring bike (Genesis TdF) but I’m now looking to also buy a bike that would be good for both offroad/gravel rides (nothing very extreme but perhaps some bikepacking trips) and road riding (day rides typically 30-60 miles). Just wondered what other people’s experiences are who use the same bike for both road/gravel.

Do you have a second set of tyres/wheels for different uses? Or are there tyres that can handle both uses quite well?

I was thinking something like a Genesis Croix de Fer would fit the bill quite well.

Any thoughts appreciated!

vickster

Legendary Member
What’s your budget?
Planet X often have some cracking deals on Titanium

Jameshow

Veteran
Hi

I have a touring bike (Genesis TdF) but I’m now looking to also buy a bike that would be good for both offroad/gravel rides (nothing very extreme but perhaps some bikepacking trips) and road riding (day rides typically 30-60 miles). Just wondered what other people’s experiences are who use the same bike for both road/gravel.

Do you have a second set of tyres/wheels for different uses? Or are there tyres that can handle both uses quite well?

I was thinking something like a Genesis Croix de Fer would fit the bill quite well.

Any thoughts appreciated!

What's wrong with the tdf? Is it disc?
Tyre clearance ??

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My tourer does everything. Schwalbe Landcruisers in either 35 or 40c have a narrow strip in the middle of the tyre for road riding and nobbles on the sides for when offroading. Ordinary road tyres can be used for offroading too and grip quite well in all but the worst surfaces. My Vittoria Voyager Hypers which are pretty much slicks do most of my riding whereas the Landcruisers come out when I know things are gonna get hairy.

Attachments

• 2449E8D4-D76D-4216-8D49-4FE53FBBFF26.jpeg
    2449E8D4-D76D-4216-8D49-4FE53FBBFF26.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 22

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
+1 to the Planet X Tempest. Cracking looking bikes, and the owners I know are very happy. For a fair bit more, the Tripster ATR v3 is fabulous. As used on many, many long distances adventures both on and off-road. Only done seven centuries on mine so far…

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What size tyres can your TDF take?

I have a GT Grade that seems to tick your boxes? Mine is an older version from 2017 so doesn't have full thru axles or the 1x drivetrain (I think 1x is shite!). On those hot summer days it is a mile muncher on the tarmac running 35mm slicks, but stick a set of 35mm knobblies on it and it transforms into a competitive cyclo-cross machine (pinging @dan_bo ) to tear through the field and get mid-range rankings even for a non-training, middle aged drunk like me! :laugh:

TBH I suspect your Genesis is probably already the bike you are looking for? Sometimes it isn't about the bike, either you can manage the terrain or you can't.....

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This !!! Don't look again, don't look again !!!! :laugh:

I guess this is a Micky take? Have read several stories of titanium cracking and really don't see the appeal. Ok, it rides like steel, but cracks like aluminium. Why not just get a good steel frame?

I ride Alu, steel and carbon but do not feel it is necessary to try the compromise that Ti seems to offer....

Of course, if you feel the need to ride a frame that doesn't need painting like aluminium, but feels like steel, then go ahead and try Ti. Just don't complain when it falls short of the life expectancy of a good steel frame painted silver :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I guess this is a Micky take? Have read several stories of titanium cracking and really don't see the appeal. Ok, it rides like steel, but cracks like aluminium. Why not just get a good steel frame?

I ride Alu, steel and carbon but do not feel it is necessary to try the compromise that Ti seems to offer....

Of course, if you feel the need to ride a frame that doesn't need painting like aluminium, but feels like steel, then go ahead and try Ti. Just don't complain when it falls short of the life expectancy of a good steel frame painted silver :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Can’t agree with you, happy with my Ti trio 😄
As general principle though I did the London Brighton on my cx after maté suggested just popping some road rubber on . Was a revelation and never put the oem knobbles back on . Riding a 1xgravel on road might be frustrating at times with not quite find the perfect fear (not low enough/spinning out) but I’ve got used to the simplicity

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Exactly... I don't think a Ti would do as well as the DB Tank. Much that I fancy one....cheap as chips though ! :laugh:

Top Bottom