One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I was told on good authority that he'd done 50 thousand miles in his (probably many more now). Many, perhaps most owners of such things don't actually drive them.

A friend who was a professional car photographer described some Ferrari event in Monaco that the covered. He assumed the owners would have used it as an excuse to drive their Ferraris down through France, but no. The majority had had their cars lorried down, flown over to Monaco, ponced up and down the promenade in them a few times then had the cars shipped home. What's the point of owning such a thing if it's merely an ornament ?

A Ferrari would probably break down if you took it on a journey as long as that.

tyred

Legendary Member
I did once see a Ferrari 348 on the back of a recovery lorry. It looked like it had went sideways through a hedge judging by damage all to one side and all the soil and briars and things stuck in the vents.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A Ferrari would probably break down if you took it on a journey as long as that.

My photographer pal said exactly that. Almost every time he had to photo a vintage Ferrari or Lambo, unless it had had a huge amount of money spent on it very recently, would nearly always break down, overheat or fail to start. He even did a visit to the lambo factory where they had to scrabble round to get some of their ostensibly pristine historic models started. On the other hand he said owners of 60s Porches would rock up, he'd take his pictures, and they drive off home afain

Saturday 6th

Parked at ‘Fell House’
(now flats, an ex Police building)
Junction of Queen Street & George Street
Wakefield

CF3D1653-7047-494A-AACD-2C48A3B0FAC5.jpeg

midlife

Guru
Always wanted a faster Ford than my l reg 1.1........1600GT, Mexico, RS2000, RS turbo, Sierra cosworth. Went for an Astra GTE lol

MGman

I did buy a Lancia Beta once, I came to my senses very soon after :banghead::laugh:

Yes I did as well, in 1979. A real looker in red and an excellent drive etc. But then came the RUST problem. Mine was checked by Lancia and passed the checks. But I took fright and sold it for......... a Saab 900. Very boring, but no rust!

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom