One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
A friend had an Allegro in the early 90s. We used to joke that the name was Italian for 'rusty'.

I had one then too. I think it was an S reg and I bought it from my brother for £50. It ran reasonably for about a year until a CV joint went. Then it sat in the rain for a while and revealed it was actually made of rice paper.

A rusty one in Italian would be an Austin Arrugginita, which has a nice sound to it, even if it would never sell.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Saw this nice 1967 Volvo P1800 in Luton, the owner shared that he brought it back from California in 2011 when it underwent a conversion back to its original RHD and a full restore.
20230716_085951.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
My fi4st car was an Allaggro, 1750 HL with twin carbs no less.

Horrible in every conceivable way, and with the build quality of a paper plane made from bog roll and prit stik. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Proof if ever it were need that simply being old does not confer classic status on a car. They were turds then, and they're simply old turds now.

Saw this nice 1967 Volvo P1800 in Luton, the owner shared that he brought it back from California in 2011 when it underwent a conversion back to its original RHD and a full restore.
View attachment 698914

Now this is a case in point. This was destined to be a classic the day it rolled out the showroom. Very stylish, fairly quick for the time, but also day-in-day-out reliability.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't think the allaggro rusted any quicker than rival British tin, but the design was such that it didn't take much to douse real harm. For example, a bit of minor rust in the front suffrage was sufficient to weaken it to the point that it would fail and thr front wheels would suddenly splay outwards. Ford's and Vauxhalls rusted with gusto, but rarely to the poi t that parts of the car would become reached.

I was

Sunday 16th

Walton Classic Car Show
Walton
Wakefield

TVR Griffith 500
The car of the show, for me :wub: :wub:
I've wanted one since they were first announced in 1992, I've driven them

IMG_6432.jpeg

IMG_6433.jpeg

IMG_6434.jpeg

IMG_6435.jpeg