One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
A Commer Imp Van sat in Donington Park's car park this afternoon.
View attachment 549565 View attachment 549566
Vroom vroom, the most distinct engine sound.
I once went to a Vintage Motorcycle Club meet in circa 1976 and among everything doing a standing start 1/4 mile was an Imp engined drag bike, intake and exhaust pipes all over the place, the sound was exactly the same....but much louder.:bravo:
Dad had the Imp and a Husky version ? (as photo but with rear seats and windows ?).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I once went to a Vintage Motorcycle Club meet in circa 1976 and among everything doing a standing start 1/4 mile was an Imp engined drag bike, intake and exhaust pipes all over the place, the sound was exactly the same....but much louder.:bravo:
Dad had the Imp and a Husky version ? (as photo but with rear seats and windows ?).
There's a good few Imp engined sidecars around

View: https://youtu.be/iJtBXOtvsB4

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There's a good few Imp engined sidecars around

View: https://youtu.be/iJtBXOtvsB4

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A Vauxhall Thingy. Not sure it's a classic, but its owner obviously cares for it.
IMG_20200927_132417324_HDR.jpg

DRM

Guru
I remember seeing one pull up outside the Dock gates in Dublin, the driver got out, went into the docks, not long after an artic driver decided to pull in through the out gate, the trailer of the truck went right over the boot of this Vauxhall, stopped and backed up, then went in through the correct gate, turns out the car belonged to the fella who had turned up to show us where we were working, it was funny following this thing as it limped and wobbled it’s way through Dublin

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Captured on tonight’s school run
View attachment 550202
Gawd that's ugly. xx(

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Gawd that's ugly. xx(

In an outburst of false nostalgia, I like it. OK, when I was young it was a boring 3-box design and I hadn't got a clue why the car was so revered. It spawned a succession of almost identical 3-box 3 series cars with no concessions of stylistic innovation, resulting in an extremely conservative fan club. When Chris Bangle tried to shake the enthusiasts out of their aesthetic slumber he was hounded out of the job and ended up with the world loosing one of the finest car designers in history as he concentrated on other projects.

So I really haven't got a clue as to why it appeals so much to me now.

D

Deleted member 26715

Owned a 2002 for a few days in the late 70's seem to remember quite a bit of rust which was normal back then

Last edited by a moderator:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Gawd that's ugly. xx(

I think it's quite nice. Vastly nicer than the modern ones unarguably.

The 2002 posted above is the pretty one. One of my lecturers had one back in the day I recall. She always wore a tweed twinset and seemed a "country" type, but the sporty little Beemer was a different image entirely. Funny what you remember from nearly 40 years back

Top Bottom