One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
View attachment 584151

View attachment 584151

View attachment 584152

View attachment 584153

Not a car obs, but a classic motorbike, still in regular use according to the owner (not Bert Munro). Photo'd last summer.
Good lord that is lovely :ohmy:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Restoration projects?
IMG_20210527_130907325_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210527_130911372~2.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
How about a really dull & boring classic - a Vauxhall Cavalier Mk1 in sh*t brown with brown/beige velour interior as befits the upmarket 2.0 GLS? View attachment 586959 View attachment 586960
Purchased last year for a massive £800 according to Classic Cars For Sale
Actually I think driving one of those now would be quite cool
I agree Vauxhalls of around that era were always fast but could never quite take the Ford crown.
Being a Vauxhall man ^_^..I had a Mk1 Opel Ascona 2.0 SR, same as the one in the photo basically. TBF it was reasonably old when i got it but i dont remember it being particually fast. Moved on through later Cavs and was dumbstruck by a 2ltr, relatively basic looking and specced fleet car....the acceleration in 1st and 2nd was stupid, a typical sleeper. It may have been a turbo but I dont think so, those were the days when everyone proudly badged their cars as such.

battered

Guru
Being a Vauxhall man ^_^..I had a Mk1 Opel Ascona 2.0 SR, same as the one in the photo basically. TBF it was reasonably old when i got it but i dont remember it being particually fast. Moved on through later Cavs and was dumbstruck by a 2ltr, relatively basic looking and specced fleet car....the acceleration in 1st and 2nd was stupid, a typical sleeper. It may have been a turbo but I dont think so, those were the days when everyone proudly badged their cars as such.
I used to have a Cavalier mk3 2.0L 8v, it was a very good engine. Economical, as in 38 mpg on a motorway cruise at 90, I mean 70 officer. Muscular too, more than capable of getting in the BMW lane and staying there all day. I've heard it alleged that such a car could do Portsmouth docks to Leeds city centre in 3 hours flat, with a petrol stop, but that would be an average of 87mph officer, so I wouldn't have been at the wheel travelling at illegal speeds in those happy days before the roads were lined with cameras.

battered

Guru
Optimistic!

Not sure if the modern one is a Jag but the others are a TR3a and a TR6.
XJS. The TR3a shell looks reasonable. I installed a new wiring loom in one, for a girlfriend s dad many years ago. He'd just completed a resto, lasting years.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Reactions: gbb

slow scot

Veteran
Those are rather splendid aren't they - and are the mist stylish thing in the film "diva", which is a stylish film in itself. The later DS models are cool too, and look like something from Dan Dare
You’re right, one of the great films. And it introduced me to Catalani and his opera La Wally. Best opera title too!

Top Bottom