One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The flat front indicates that it’s a V8
The same 3.5 that was in the Range Rover & 101FC
However, it’s in Stromberg carbs, with restrictive-plates to decrease induction air-flow, from the RRs 132BHP, to 92BHP

The gearbox is the same 4-speed, but with a longer bell-housing, so as not to restrict axle-travel due to the positioning of the sump
(Permanant 4-wheel drive, with centre-diff)
They’re on leaf-springs, with drum brakes, like all Series models

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Unfortunately i dont have original pictures but I have come across a Corvette C2 around my area

869.jpg

1967-Corvette-3.jpg

I thought he had to have been a massive car nut to have one but it turned out he was just filthy rich and bought the car off someone who did all hard work restoring the car. He either wouldnt or couldnt tell me if it was restored to original condition or a resto-mod but the car looked every much as beautiful as it sounded. (I hope he looks after it)

Since he was stuck in traffic. I had every the opportunity in the world to filter past but I was absolutely drunk on the sound of the engine just idling that I stayed next to it for 5-8mins just talking to the driver about the car. Whether or not he appreciated me being there. Driving that sort of car around is bound to get some serious attention from people who know what these cars are and what they are about.

The NEXT car ive come across was a Mercury Cougar XR-7....

1968-mercury-cougar-xr7.jpg

The sound of the engine is a lot more intoxicating than the corvette. The XR-7 is also wider than any modern car on the road and you honestly wouldnt believe how much road these cars take up unless you get to see them in person.

The driver was a bit of a strange guy with an actual scarlet macaw sitting on his lap and poking its head out of the window so i decided to hang back and not talk to the guy fearing that his attack parrot might come for me for getting too close. :laugh::laugh:

Other road users were more engrossed with the parrot than the car though. He was letting people lean across and pet his Macaw. Its the kind of sight that made me question if i was on drugs, never mind the driver taking his pet parrot for a drive.

The colour in this picture really doesnt show how beautiful the metallic green paint was on the car.

Absolute work of art. :smooch:

battered

Guru
The flat front indicates that it’s a V8
The same 3.5 that was in the Range Rover & 101FC
However, it’s in Stromberg carbs, with restrictive-plates to decrease induction air-flow, from the RRs 132BHP, to 92BHP

The gearbox is the same 4-speed, but with a longer bell-housing, so as not to restrict axle-travel due to the positioning of the sump
(Permanant 4-wheel drive, with centre-diff)
They’re on leaf-springs, with drum brakes, like all Series models
They're better to look at than to travel in or worse drive. I had to drive a S3 LWB like that on a farm as part of a summer job. It was a hateful thing, the steering was incredibly heavy, the thing didn't go, stop or go round corners. I was happy when I could give it back to the hire company. The other vehicle they had me driving was Bessie, a 1942 Ferguson tractor. This was vastly superior in spite of having no syncromesh to any gears, a clutch so heavy it had a hand lever so you could help your leg, and a steel seat whose only padding was a potato sack.

That Land rover that style and full roof rack etc.
They're better to look at than to travel in or worse drive. I had to drive a S3 LWB like that on a farm as part of a summer job. It was a hateful thing, the steering was incredibly heavy, the thing didn't go, stop or go round corners. I was happy when I could give it back to the hire company. The other vehicle they had me driving was Bessie, a 1942 Ferguson tractor. This was vastly superior in spite of having no syncromesh to any gears, a clutch so heavy it had a hand lever so you could help your leg, and a steel seat whose only padding was a potato sack.
I’ll agree with you there!
My first Landie was a 1969 2A Light-Weight, that was absolutely atrocious
The 1982 International tractor that l drove during a few winters at work, was immeasurably superior
And warmer, even with a broken back window on the cab

However, the following Landie was like jumping into an AC Cobra, from a MGB
A 1994 110Tdi (300)

battered

Guru
I’ll agree with you there!
My first Landie was a 1969 2A Light-Weight, that was absolutely atrocious
The 1982 International tractor that l drove during a few winters at work, was immeasurably superior
And warmer, even with a broken back window on the cab

However, the following Landie was like jumping into an AC Cobra, from a MGB
A 1994 110Tdi (300)
I think they had got their act together by the mid 90s and were turning out vehicles that were actually reasonable to drive. The modern diesels are probably reasonable, these vehicles make sense with a modern TDi. The old diesels have nothing to recommend them other than the fact that you can run them on chip fat and yak droppings if you need to cross Mongolia. In Sutton Coldfield they make about as much sense as wearing full Himalayan mountaineering gear, including ice axes, crampons and a loaded rucksack to climb the stairs.
Back in the 80s a student mate had a S2 2.25 SWB that he drove regularly from Aberystwyth to Lincoln. At 15mpg, he could have bought an alternative car and paid for it from the fuel savings, not to mention the fact that he could have driven it at more than 50mph.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
@battered

Yes, the Tdi engines were superb (barring some timing belt alignment issues)
Eminently reliable, ‘tweakable’, & fairly economical
Land Rover themselves did a Lands End - John O’Groats economy run with a (200) Tdi Range Rover, & came away with a 40+ MPG average

We had a TDi200 110 and engine wise it was excellent, reliable, acceptable economy, and plenty of oomph. The later BMW 5 cylinder has tuned all wrong and had little low down torque where you needed it, and a mate's one blew up at only a middling mileage, so seemed a step backwards. I imagine the subsequent Ford Transit engine would have been OK. Earlier non turbo diesel in the "Series" landies was fairly fragile (my mate had one) and the early turbo even more flimsy. Not c

tyred

Legendary Member
Spotted this on my travels today. Hardly a classic but I have never seen a Proton pick up before or even knew they made such a thing. I wonder if it is an Australian import.

I think that the car it was based on was called a Persona.

Spotted this on my travels today. Hardly a classic but I have never seen a Proton pick up before or even knew they made such a thing. I wonder if it is an Australian import.

I think that the car it was based on was called a Persona.

View attachment 598199
There are a few around, I think (from memory) that it was an official import

Personally, I'd have preferred a Skoda Felicia pick-up

tyred

Legendary Member
There are a few around, I think (from memory) that it was an official import

Personally, I'd have preferred a Skoda Felicia pick-up
I lived quite close to a Proton dealer back in day and never saw one before. I'd agree that the Skoda is more desirable but I still wouldn't mind having that (first time I ever thought that about a Proton!).

I love a car-based pick up. They were so much nicer than the over-sized Tonka toys around today.

I had been putting the money into savings for a house deposit but one day soon I must start restoration work on my VW Caddy Mk I.

Top Bottom