One for the Edinburgh cyclists to watch out for

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kirst

Thanks for posting that here for me. Yes, that was MGM Timber's lorry driver, behaving really badly. Am awaiting a response.

Kirst

That was them. Right in the middle of town, with numerous tourists and locals walking by. Most of them laughing their heads off at the incongruity of a bloke in a huge lorry yelling at a woman on a bike.

Kirst

I was thinking that I could make my fortune by designing and selling something, like a bottle cage bracket for the frame, but holding a perspex box just big enough to hold 10 copies of the Highway Code (relevant pages folded over and highlighted) for posting through motorists' windows.

Anyway, Peter Gourley from MGM Timber just phoned. He is a cyclist, very apologetic. Driver was not usual driver, was agency driver - and here's the good bit - they're not using that as an excuse, they're saying he'd just been through a full induction so there's absolutely no excuse for how he behaved. He has spoken to the agency and asked them to get back to him within 24 hours, and suggested that the driver be kept off the roads until this is investigated and dealt with. He'll get back to me tomorrow.

Kirst

They've just phoned me back again. The agency driver is not from Edinburgh so he agreed to come in all the way from Berwick upon Tweed to a meeting to discuss the issue. The agency wouldn't give the full content of the meeting to MGM Timber, but what MGM Timber have said to me is that the driver felt there was space for me to move over to let him past, but he accepts that that's my right to decide that and if I felt maintaining a safe course on uneven cobbles was going to be impossible further to the left, then that's up to me and he shouldn't have reacted as he did. And he has taken a copy of the Highway Code away to read up on the points I had pointed out.
I think that's really positive. I was convinced the driver would just deny it or try to say it was all my fault and it would be my word against his, so this is a much better outcome than I would have hoped for. So you can all buy your timber from them again now.

Crankarm

Guru
Kirst said:
They've just phoned me back again. The agency driver is not from Edinburgh so he agreed to come in all the way from Berwick upon Tweed to a meeting to discuss the issue. The agency wouldn't give the full content of the meeting to MGM Timber, but what MGM Timber have said to me is that the driver felt there was space for me to move over to let him past, but he accepts that that's my right to decide that and if I felt maintaining a safe course on uneven cobbles was going to be impossible further to the left, then that's up to me and he shouldn't have reacted as he did. And he has taken a copy of the Highway Code away to read up on the points I had pointed out.
I think that's really positive. I was convinced the driver would just deny it or try to say it was all my fault and it would be my word against his, so this is a much better outcome than I would have hoped for. So you can all buy your timber from them again now.

Great result. The alternative of course being ditched by the agency and no longer being able to drive/work :biggrin:.

Top Bottom