One for TV/PC techies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Just purchased a new TV - Sony Bravia 4K UHD HDR.

Easy to set up apart from connecting our laptop to output to the TV - it took the two of us 6 hours to sort out a workable solution!

Background info':

The laptop is a fairly new HP Pavilion with reasonable spec'.

Connection to TV by superfast HDMI cable. Although we tried 2 others to rule out cable issues.

Other connected items (all went without a hitch) soundbar, YouView box and a Blue Ray player.

An old (mothballed for emergencies) laptop hooked up straight away with no issues.

Just plugging the HP laptop in (via any of the 4 ports) results in the desktop image appearing on the TV screen for a second or so followed by a black screen and repeat ad-infinitum.

The only solution is this:

Power up TV & laptop.

Put TV into TV mode ie not operating with any other source active.

Connect TV & laptop via HDMI cable.

Switch laptop output to second screen only.

Switch TV to the port that the laptop is connected by. TV starts flashing as above.

Disconnect HDMI lead.

Reconnect HDMI lead.

Voila! TV stops flashing. At which point we can switch back to the usual dual screen laptop & TV display.

Takes very little time to do this in practice (but a long time to find this workaround).

Can anyone shed some light on what is going on here?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Very strange. Maybe a driver issue - for the 4k TV. Also check for overscanning or what ever on the HDMI port - we adjusted it on our TV so the whole laptop screen appeared, otherwise it lost the edges. Have you tried any other HDMI ports on the TV - ours has one that's designated for PC/laptop.

Try a bog standard HDMI cable.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Very strange. Maybe a driver issue - for the 4k TV. Also check for overscanning or what ever on the HDMI port - we adjusted it on our TV so the whole laptop screen appeared, otherwise it lost the edges. Have you tried any other HDMI ports on the TV - ours has one that's designated for PC/laptop.

Try a bog standard HDMI cable.

Thanks for that.

Yes, tried all four ports on the TV.

And tried 3 HDMI cables. An old cheapo, an old 'standard' jobbie and the new high speed 4K one.

The whole laptop screen appears once we have gone through our 'process' and all is fine thereafter. Wouldn't know where to start re overscanning adjustment if it was an issue!

Have been in touch with Sony Support and have given them full details and will see what transpires.

Top Bottom