One last question before I go, locks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
I'm starting my LEJOG on Saturday, Self supported and solo. I'm trying to keep the weight down and my d lock is heavy. I have a couple of lighter ( coffee stop) type of locks. I will mainly be doing youth hostels and B and B but will have my tent with me just in case. What do other people do about locking their bikes while on tour? Thanks in advance
Paul

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
I'm starting my LEJOG on Saturday, Self supported and solo. I'm trying to keep the weight down and my d lock is heavy. I have a couple of lighter ( coffee stop) type of locks. I will mainly be doing youth hostels and B and B but will have my tent with me just in case. What do other people do about locking their bikes while on tour? Thanks in advance
Paul
I've just searched and found several pieces of advice on this on other threads, apologies for the new post on the same issue. But it did give an excuse to post a picture of my fully laden bike.

Shaun

Founder
No harm in another thread on the subject, different replies, difference recommendations. Will you be taking all your gear and panniers off and inside the hostel with you each night, or parking it up loaded?

ETA: I should read the OP properly, possible camping? Wild or on a site? If wild, I'd be tempted to accept the weight of the D-Lock for the substance it offers for overnight locking-up.

When camping I use a cable, and carry a dog lead screw, lay the bike outside of the tent thread the cable through the bike then screw the dog lead screw into the ground inside the outer tent having passed the cable through the handled on my panniers, very hard for someone to sneak up and grab the bike without ending try to run off with a bike attached to the panniers and fixed to the ground.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
When camping I use a cable, and carry a dog lead screw, lay the bike outside of the tent thread the cable through the bike then screw the dog lead screw into the ground inside the outer tent having passed the cable through the handled on my panniers, very hard for someone to sneak up and grab the bike without ending try to run off with a bike attached to the panniers and fixed to the ground.
Ditto with the big corkscrew, you can just about see it but my main worry is someone 'halfinching' the front wheel so the long cable runs through that as well.

AroundTheSite-OffTheTracksSpring2013-PB08.jpg

dog anchor is by the crank

Not much use if someone has cutters but better than nowt.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I will mainly be doing youth hostels and B and B but will have my tent with me just in case. What do other people do about locking their bikes while on tour?
On your LEJOG, most youth hostels, including the ones I've suggested (Penzance, Treyarnon, Clun, Windermere, Lochranza (Arran), Oban, Tobermory (Mull), Broadford (Skye), Tongue) have arrangements for bikes. Similarly B&Bs will: ask when you book is good advice. And if you have to camp (which you've said is the 'in extremis' option (eg Ayrshire on Night 10)) then your bike will be with you, either lain beside the tent or outside the pub. The most vulnerable location/time is, imo, when you stop to buy food and leave the bike outside. There's various advice on offer eg leave the bike in top gear and take your valuables in with you. Will people want to steal your panniers in the few minutes you're inside: I hope not. Will they be ready with croppers to cut a cable and steal your bike? If you think that the location offers such a threat, don't shop there.
A simple combination cable lock for me: I could not countenance the idea and weight/volume of a D-lock and my bike is only worth a few hundred. But every individual's perception and tolerance of risk is different and I don't know how valuable your bike is or what conditions there are on any insurance you may have.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm paranoid and I'm never completely sure that I won't want to lock up in some theft-happy town/city with no-one left to watch the bike(s), so I take the big D lock and the alarmed cable that I usually use on the Dutch bike (actually, a longer cable if it's the folding bike because the front triangle is very low).

90+% of places, I could probably trust the little combination cafe lock that I sometimes use for day trip pub stops, but that still leaves enough that I wouldn't be happy with. It would be a long and annoying walk/taxi/train home and I don't really want to be continuing the ride on a new bike from shop stock.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd be more worried about the youth hostel. Sleep with your back to the wall.

reppans

I'm theft paranoid too... had stuff stolen before. Started touring on a Brompton and just take everything inside with me - restaurants, museums, stores, bathrooms, pedestrian parks, etc.... it has a good 'baby stroller' mode, and so carries my touring gear for me too.

I also have a 143db 9V personal security alarm (grenade pull pin style) that I will try to stealthly tether as yet an extra security measure, but so far, I haven't needed to use a lock since owning the Brompton.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm theft paranoid too... had stuff stolen before. Started touring on a Brompton and just take everything inside with me - restaurants, museums, stores, bathrooms, pedestrian parks, etc.... it has a good 'baby stroller' mode, and so carries my touring gear for me too.

I also have a 143db 9V personal security alarm (grenade pull pin style) that I will try to stealthly tether as yet an extra security measure, but so far, I haven't needed to use a lock since owning the Brompton.
One of the major conveniences of the Brompton. Just wish it didn't have those kiddy bike wheels.

Top Bottom