One legged cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Chapeau to the one legged cyclist I saw today on the A3052 near Branscombe, Devon today.
I don't know if he was riding fixed gear, or not, but he was going well.
I've seen several one legged cyclists over the years, but this was the first guy I've seen riding without the aid of a prosthetic limb - literally one legged.
Anyone might know who he was?
Chapeau sir, you have my admiration and respect! :notworthy:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Chapeau to the one legged cyclist I saw today on the A3052 near Branscombe, Devon today.
I've seen several one legged cyclists over the years, but this was the first guy I've seen riding without the aid of a prosthetic limb - literally one legged.
When I was growing up, there was an elderly man that rode like that. Looked like a fixed gear with one crank arm removed.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

I don't know him personally, but he's been a regular cycling feature of our local lanes for as long as I can remember.

If it's the same guy, he's always the front of any club ride.

I've always wondered how his back manages with such one-sided effort.

U

User169

Saw a dude with one leg ride the Ronde van Vlaanderen sportief a few years ago.

13 rider

Guru
A Paralympic cyclist who's name I forget lives near Leicester I have seen a couple of times once without his prosthetic leg which looks so odd and a couple of times with the leg fitted . He's quick with or without the prosthetic

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Jody Cundy flew past me whilst we were both 'commuting'. My excuse was I was riding fixed and he had gears.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I did the etape one year, and spent most of the day being gradually overtaken by younger - let's face it, better - riders. At one point mid-afternoon I actually found myself overtaking...just...another rider. It gave me a bit of an uplift till I noticed he had just the one leg.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Slightly off topic ut some 50+ years ago I recall there was a famous 'one legged diver' at New Brighton.
New Brighton was known for its very high multi level diving board**
He would hop his way up all the steps, along the board then dive.
**i walked up once planning to just jump off. I looked down, turned around and climbed back down :blush:
Not sure if I actually saw him when I was a lad or just recall stories from my Dad.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Used to be a guy in Essex in the early seventies who rode having only one leg. Out on clubruns we used to come across him round Sawbridgeworth which had a decent café stop. He was always immaculately turned out in clothing that could be described as Victorian and had a well groomed beard to match. He rode a top end Condor too.

He never spoke to anyone though, barely returned a nod when anyone greeted him.

Top Bottom