One legged cyclists

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Dirk, 13 Sep 2019 at 17:19.

1. Dirk

Dirk If 6 Was 9

Chapeau to the one legged cyclist I saw today on the A3052 near Branscombe, Devon today.
    I don't know if he was riding fixed gear, or not, but he was going well.
    I've seen several one legged cyclists over the years, but this was the first guy I've seen riding without the aid of a prosthetic limb - literally one legged.
    Anyone might know who he was?
    Chapeau sir, you have my admiration and respect! :notworthy:

Pat "5mph", Mrs M, dave r and 5 others like this.
  2. Mo1959

Mo1959 Guru

When I was growing up, there was an elderly man that rode like that. Looked like a fixed gear with one crank arm removed.

Pat "5mph" and Dirk like this.
  3. Ian H

Ian H I am an ancient randonneur, & I stop often for tea

I can only think of one whom I know. I recall a German guy on Paris-Brest-Paris a few years ago.

Pat "5mph", Andy in Germany and Dirk like this.
  4. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Used to see such a chap in SE London ages years back.

Dirk likes this.
  5. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

I don't know him personally, but he's been a regular cycling feature of our local lanes for as long as I can remember.

If it's the same guy, he's always the front of any club ride.

I've always wondered how his back manages with such one-sided effort.

Dirk likes this.
  6. DP

DP Chasse patate

Saw a dude with one leg ride the Ronde van Vlaanderen sportief a few years ago.

7. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

When we were kids, a local kid had one leg much shorter than the other and he used to ride everywhere one legged. Was amazing to see.

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  8. 13 rider

13 rider Guru

A Paralympic cyclist who's name I forget lives near Leicester I have seen a couple of times once without his prosthetic leg which looks so odd and a couple of times with the leg fitted . He's quick with or without the prosthetic

Dirk likes this.
  9. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Jody Cundy flew past me whilst we were both 'commuting'. My excuse was I was riding fixed and he had gears.

Dirk likes this.
  10. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

I did the etape one year, and spent most of the day being gradually overtaken by younger - let's face it, better - riders. At one point mid-afternoon I actually found myself overtaking...just...another rider. It gave me a bit of an uplift till I noticed he had just the one leg.

Pat "5mph", Dirk and Dave7 like this.
  11. Dave7

Dave7 Guru

Slightly off topic ut some 50+ years ago I recall there was a famous 'one legged diver' at New Brighton.
    New Brighton was known for its very high multi level diving board**
    He would hop his way up all the steps, along the board then dive.
    **i walked up once planning to just jump off. I looked down, turned around and climbed back down :blush:
    Not sure if I actually saw him when I was a lad or just recall stories from my Dad.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2019 at 08:15
  12. Last edited: 14 Sep 2019 at 08:29
  13. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Used to be a guy in Essex in the early seventies who rode having only one leg. Out on clubruns we used to come across him round Sawbridgeworth which had a decent café stop. He was always immaculately turned out in clothing that could be described as Victorian and had a well groomed beard to match. He rode a top end Condor too.

He never spoke to anyone though, barely returned a nod when anyone greeted him.

14. Oldbloke

Oldbloke Guru

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice