One less task for which I need a LBS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm proud of myself today ^_^. I finally pulled my finger out, and did my first ever rear hub and freewheel body disassembly, cleaning, greasing and reassembly, for my Vivente World Randonneur tourer, which is my commuting bike. This combined with the usual weekly clean of my bike, took me about 4 hours or more, but a lot of that was oh-so-carefully taking the rear hub apart, cleaning and greasing bits of it, then putting it back together, interspersed with frequent visits inside the house to the PC, where I read and re-read bits of the ParkTools guide on freehub and freewheel body maintenance.

In recent weeks, I've been getting this annoying clicking noise which I think is coming from my freewheel body*. It typically occurs when I'm putting more pressure on the pedals going up steep hills, of which there is no shortage in my commuting routes to and from work, and is normally when the right-hand pedal is at or near the top position. The last time this clicking occurred, my LBS told me it was the freewheel body. They replaced it, and the clicking stopped.

My maintenance job today may not have removed the clicking, as I didn't actually replace the freewheel body. I did lube it, though, trickling some high-viscosity chain oil into part of the freewheel body that contains the bearings. I recently bought a new freewheel body, so if the clicking continues, well I know how to replace it, now :smile:. It was easier to remove the rear cassette this time, too - last time I had a cassette lockring removal tool that didn't quite fit (there was a bit of movement when I inserted it), and so it kept slipping off the lockring whenever I tried to turn it. No such problem this time, as the new lockring tool I bought after the last cassette removal fits perfectly, and even has a pin in its centre to help stabilise the tool while I'm turning it.

It was only about 2 months ago I did my first ever front (middle and large) chain rings + chain + rear cassette replacement, and now today's effort makes me a bit less dependent on local bike shops and their labour fees.

*Although my hearing is sub-standard, so I can't be 100% certain of that.

sidevalve

Über Member
Good for you !! Always remember if it was made by man, it can be repaired by man [or woman].

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Thanks, people :smile:. Next on my list is a new bottom bracket: I've already bought a replacement. I'll probably replace the cranks at the same time, because I've wanted to find a lighter pair. It's a 15kg touring bike, so anything that shaves off a little bit more weight is good.

My only worry with the hub adjustment was that I'd adjust it too tight, but I was very, very careful to adjust it barely tight enough to stop any wobbling, and I'm pleased to report the bearings didn't seize up during my commute to work just now! (whew). I still have the clicking noise, though, so I plan to replace the freewheel body next weekend.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Good for a bit of self-satisfaction and added ''I can do it'' confidence, isn't it?

One thing it took me a while to figure out with touring bikes. They kind of only want to keep going at their own pace anyway so there's a limited return from lightening things, particularly if the replacement parts are less durable. Less weight + equal durability = more money squared.

Top Bottom