One man's meat...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
My neighbours daughter plays piano. She is devoted and practices from the early hours (say 8.00 anytime up until 21.30) not non stop but at any point during the day that she is home and free to do so.

My wife finds her practice frustrating whilst I find it really enjoyable. I'm sitting now under the shade of the garden parasol listing to her getting better and better. She really is vary good already and is only 14.

Mrs Jeez on the other hand has just rolled her eyes and gone inside to "do something".

Funny how two like minded souls can have such polarised opinions on something.

She's stopped now.

Mrs Jeez returns

Be thankful it is not violin or drum.

Nihal

Veteran
You guy are so <cant find a word right now,will edit later>......4 beautiful instruments:-Violin,trumpet.drums and piano-and you hate them:wacko:

Arch

Married to Night Train
You guy are so <cant find a word right now,will edit later>......4 beautiful instruments:-Violin,trumpet.drums and piano-and you hate them:wacko:

I don't think people hate the instrument, just the noise it makes when being played by a learner. How my parents stood it when I took up the violin, I don't know. Would have been easier to just go out and strangle cats.

Night Train

Maker of Things
or, in fact the Saxaphone. Anyone who thinks they are sexy has obviously never had to sit next to someone playing one at full foghornesque blast :rolleyes:
When I was living in London, as a teen, there was a chap who lived opposite who was learning to play the Sax. It He was awful at it.

My friend and neighbour also plays the Sax but he is a professional musician and sounds really good.:thumbsup:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
When I was living in London, as a teen, there was a chap who lived opposite who was learning to play the Sax. It He was awful at it.

My friend and neighbour also plays the Sax but he is a professional musician and sounds really good.:thumbsup:

I played the Clarinet at School, and thankfully we didn't have any Saxaphones in our Orchestra, but when I played elsewhere at things and did come across players, beleive me, sat next to them playing, you very often couldn't hear yourself think! :rolleyes:

Thoroughly awful things they were and I'd ban the wretched things on the spot if I could, and if I couldn't, then I'd have all the players sit at least 20 meters away from the rest of the Orchestra! :laugh:

There didn't seem to be any subtlety to the sound at all, it was either full on Foghorn or nothing at all. Maybe a Pro could achieve it, but I've yet to hear someone doing the deed.

Nihal

Veteran
I don't think people hate the instrument, just the noise it makes when being played by a learner. How my parents stood it when I took up the violin, I don't know. Would have been easier to just go out and strangle cats.
:hyper: You still play Arch???

I've always had a certain respect for instrument players.........well if you talk about Justin Beiber with a guitar,i would:cursing:.......but talk about any other person playing an instrument,be it a learner or a pro i will respect them:thumbsup:

paddy01

Family friend is 2nd violinist in the Exeter symphony orchestra, wonderful to listen to, especially when they do one of their evening of "stuff your heard in adverts and the movies" :smile:

The opposite end of the spectrum was me, thinking it was possible to go from "which way up do I hold this electric guitar" to Sweet Home Alabama in the space of 1 afternoon...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nihal, the word you want is: philistines. The dictionary says a philistine is: "indifferent or antagonistic to artistic and cultural values"
But don't forget that British people do value peace and quiet at home so they can be forgiven for finding constant music irritating.

Top Bottom