One month in....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Well it's one month since I got back in the saddle and boy its been fun in fact am the happiest Ive been in years.

It's taken me to new and old part's not seen since I was a kid. I've climbed hill's and wizzed down dales. riding on drop's is not as scary as you think and with care is a sure way to clear your head.

Im still not perfect and I need to carry on working on a few things and still much to learn but I sure have the bug if am not out on the bike i think about it, read about it , or buying stuff ;) My bike related Safari bookmark folder is now much bigger than the one for my MA :whistle:

The last few week's have been harder life get's in the way sometime's and bike night has to wait for another day. But i've found that a Saturday morning early ride more than make's up for it and in fact I really enjoy going them.

I've learned early Sunday morning's are not for assignment writing but for riding with only cow's , sheep, and birds and open fields for company.

Today was no different and was a great way to mark one month. Bagged my 1st 30 miles ^_^ but not only that i've only gone and done just over 112 in a week :wahhey:another 1st for me and am on cloud 9 :dance:

I know it's nothing to some but not bad going for a newbie.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well it's one month since I got back in the saddle and boy its been fun in fact am the happiest Ive been in years.

It's taken me to new and old part's not seen since I was a kid. I've climbed hill's and wizzed down dales. riding on drop's is not as scary as you think and with care is a sure way to clear your head.

Im still not perfect and I need to carry on working on a few things and still much to learn but I sure have the bug if am not out on the bike i think about it, read about it , or buying stuff ;) My bike related Safari bookmark folder is now much bigger than the one for my MA :whistle:

The last few week's have been harder life get's in the way sometime's and bike night has to wait for another day. But i've found that a Saturday morning early ride more than make's up for it and in fact I really enjoy going them.

I've learned early Sunday morning's are not for assignment writing but for riding with only cow's , sheep, and birds and open fields for company.

Today was no different and was a great way to mark one month. Bagged my 1st 30 miles ^_^ but not only that i've only gone and done just over 112 in a week :wahhey:another 1st for me and am on cloud 9 :dance:

:bravo:

Sometimes not even them. I work nights and often end up coming home on Sunday mornings. Now I'm either bombing it back home at 3 digit speeds on an empty motorway, or cycling home on a canal path and not seeing a single soul or their dog. Bliss, plus it tends to be less windy at night and dusk. Sunday is also National Hangover Day, so make the most of it by not getting hangover and riding a bike.

Friday afternoons on the other hand, like where the fudge does all that traffic come from? People seem to go out in their cars to hangout on motorways. Probably some sort of auto-exotic fetish thing.

What a hero :rolleyes:

Point taken.

Empty road, trail, cycle path etc and I am gonna take advantage in some way. Even if it does make me an arse for doing so. If any risks involved in what I do don't affect anyone else then I see no problem myself.

vickster

Legendary Member
Point taken.

Empty road, trail, cycle path etc and I am gonna take advantage in some way. Even if it does make me an arse for doing so. If any risks involved in what I do don't affect anyone else then I see no problem myself.
Just the emergency services who have to scrape you off the road or retrieve your head from a ditch when you decapitate yourself on street furniture or whatever. But hey that's the job they're paid to do eh?

I'm sure @Drago has dealt with speeding motorcyclist or motorist remains in the past

Last edited:
Just the emergency services who have to scrape you off the road or retrieve your head from a ditch when you decapitate yourself on street furniture or whatever. But hey that's the job they're paid to do eh?

I'm sure @Drago has dealt with speeding motorcyclist or motorist remains in the past

There's that potential with MTBing which I also enjoy. What about the many people who do the 3 peaks? Just 6 or 7 weeks ago I ended up having to crawl down a crevasse halfway up Ben Nevis because the main route was still blocked by snow. Less than a year earlier I did end up coming off a rented MTB in north Wales. This resulted in me having minor treatment for a fractured toe, but could have been worse.

Clearly anyone who partakes in:

Rugby, boxing or other contact sports
Motor racing
Powerboating
Sky diving
Mountain climbing
Mountain biking
Speeding on a motorway
Aerial displays
Skiing
Drinking or smoking

is the end part of a bell for what ever reason you can justify. Guarantee you will disagree with what ever I say with regards to the fact I drive a bit fast now and then. F,in ell I only posted to join in a casual forum thread.

@tom73 Good on you mate, cycling can be awsome. I love both road and off road cycling. Just a few days back I was riding up the hardest hill I ever climbed, or will climb. My legs were OK but it felt like my lungs were just completely useless and I was blowin out my ass. Had to stop a few times but it was great fun. Uphill MTBing is just as fun as coming back down. Having both road and off road bikes gives me the opportunity to go more places and do different type of riding.

vickster

Legendary Member
There's that potential with MTBing which I also enjoy. What about the many people who do the 3 peaks? Just 6 or 7 weeks ago I ended up having to crawl down a crevasse halfway up Ben Nevis because the main route was still blocked by snow. Less than a year earlier I did end up coming off a rented MTB in north Wales. This resulted in me having minor treatment for a fractured toe, but could have been worse.

Clearly anyone who partakes in:

Rugby, boxing or other contact sports
Motor racing
Powerboating
Sky diving
Mountain climbing
Mountain biking
Speeding on a motorway
Aerial displays
Skiing
Drinking or smoking

is the end part of a bell for what ever reason you can justify. Guarantee you will disagree with what ever I say with regards to the fact I drive a bit fast now and then. F,in ell I only posted to join in a casual forum thread.
Except speeding on the motorway is illegal of which I’m sure you are aware, none of the other things you’ve listed are even if risky or potentially stupid. Carry on justifying it to yourself as not affecting anyone else if you so desire.

You might get more kudos on Pistonheads ;)

Last edited:
Except speeding on the motorway is illegal of which I’m sure you are aware, none of the other things you’ve listed are even if risky or potentially stupid. Carry on justifying it to yourself as not affecting anyone else if you so desire.

You might get more kudos on Pistonheads ;)

On Hollowtech bottom brackets there is a small ring like thing that goes between the left crank and the bearing, what the **** is the purpose of this? It seems way too thin to be a spacer.

Also is this the best summer ever? Definitely making most. It is certainly already the longest summer in my lifetime. What a year to get back in the saddle!:sun:

vickster

Legendary Member
On Hollowtech bottom brackets there is a small ring like thing that goes between the left crank and the bearing, what the **** is the purpose of this? It seems way too thin to be a spacer.

Also is this the best summer ever? Definitely making most. It is certainly already the longest summer in my lifetime. What a year to get back in the saddle!:sun:
Huh?

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Well tonight was fun 10 miles in and the heavens open a classic summer shower boy did it get heavy got well and truly wet rained for most of the way home too. 1st time for me so went a bit steady down hill. Decided to go via a different route for the last bit. Did not fancy taking the last bit via a hilly route with some tricky bends in the wet weather. The safer route turned out to be interesting at the end of rd about to join the main road the wet weather got the better of me and it happened the bike went from under me and I came off lucky just a bit of skin off my knee but other than a few marks on the brake lever the bike is fine. Oh well it had to happen some time :smile:

Top Bottom