One of me and two of them

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karenc

Hi all,
I have been thinking about a way to transport my two kids around by bike for a while. I have a six year old, who can ride a bike but not at the stage of being able to ride any distance on the road independantly and a three year old. I have looked into trailers, but as my 6 year old is so tall (at least the height of an 8 year old) she seems to be too big for all of them. Someone recommended a Pashley u plus 2. Does anyone have any experience of these? I also understand that they are no longer made, so wondering if anyone had one to sell in the vicinity of Bournemouth.
Any other ideas of how I can get my brood around by pedal power?

boylucifer

Hi Karenc, guess what I have to say here depends largely on whether you mean transport to get somewhere, or just get out and spend time together with your kids on the bike.
If you mean the latter then I think you'd be surprised at just how far a 6 year old can ride- I have my 6 year old ride her own bike and my 22 months old in a seat on the back of my mountain bike, we have done anything up to 10 miles like this - though it can take a while (1.5 hrs for 10 miles). This is nearly all on bike paths, although there are a couple of places where Casey (the 6 year old) has to ride on pavement/very quiet road but I find barking instructions reminds her to keep her behaviour/riding in check.

If you mean trying to get somewhere then I think you are going to be better suited by a means of you towing/carrying the two of them, but a 6 year old is likely to be heavy and very hard work for you!!!

Creswell / Pashley U+2

Come up occasionally for about £200

uplus2a.jpg

Uplus2b.jpg

I've got no personal experience, but there are a lot of people in the Oxford area who manage to transport multiple children! There are those tandems-for-three-people, for one; I saw last weekend someone who had one of those 'tag a long' things on the back for the older child, and the younger was on a seat on the back of the bike.

OP
OP
K

karenc

boylucifer said:
Hi Karenc, guess what I have to say here depends largely on whether you mean transport to get somewhere, or just get out and spend time together with your kids on the bike.
If you mean the latter then I think you'd be surprised at just how far a 6 year old can ride- I have my 6 year old ride her own bike and my 22 months old in a seat on the back of my mountain bike, we have done anything up to 10 miles like this - though it can take a while (1.5 hrs for 10 miles). This is nearly all on bike paths, although there are a couple of places where Casey (the 6 year old) has to ride on pavement/very quiet road but I find barking instructions reminds her to keep her behaviour/riding in check.

If you mean trying to get somewhere then I think you are going to be better suited by a means of you towing/carrying the two of them, but a 6 year old is likely to be heavy and very hard work for you!!!

You were right. We had a great cycle ride this weekend with my 6 year old riding her own bike. She tackled road junctions (occasionally getting on the pavement for tricky bits!) and off road dirt tracks, and managed about 6 miles. I was amazed. ;)

DrMekon

Über Member
Aperitif said:

That's what we use. As they get older, you get fitter. Was at the park with a couple of other families at the weekend, and the kids were taking turns at having rides. Ended up with 3 8 year olds in the front. It was fine, but starting and stopping was a bit hectic as they were messing about. Despite their limitations, I'd go for a big cargotrike as they get older (although) hooking up multiple Hase Kettweisels has to be the ultimate). Of the two that are readily available, the bakfiets.nl cargotrike is the best. The Christiania feels flimsy in comparison.

4695682261_53ebd6e670.jpg

That's my bakfiets in the background.

Top Bottom