One of my pet hates re pro-helmeteers....

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by Brandane, 4 Jan 2018.

1. Brandane

Brandane Fair weather cyclist.

They bang on about how important it is to wear a helmet for whatever reason - especially for children. Then they send them out like this....

Inkeduseless helmet_LI.jpg

Even if we put aside the debate about the effectiveness of a helmet, if the boy on the left comes off his bike, that helmet will be off his head long before he hits the ground. I see similar on a regular basis, and not only on children!

mustang1, User32269 and ABikeCam like this.
  2. Good god above. What kind of parent splashes black paint across their childrens faces like that?

3. simongt

simongt Über Member

Indeed. I often wonder when I see parent / child cycle groups, do the children ever ask 'Why do we have to wear helmets, but you don't - ?' And what would the answer be - ?

4. OP
    OP
    Brandane

Ones who think that there is a remote chance of Drago seeing their photo on CC! ;)

5. OP
    OP
    Brandane

Although in this case it appears that the parent doesn't have a bike! So perhaps a family outing with parent walking the dog while the children come along on their bikes.

6. Afnug

Afnug Everything you can imagine is real

I think the black tape over the eyes is more dangerous than a loose helmet.

tyred, Markymark, Nigel-YZ1 and 5 others like this.
  7. If you're gonna do safety, do it proper like. Loose fitting, unfastened winter coat just waiting to catch on something and cause a spill. No hand protection, and as kids have faster reactions that adults they're likely to be able to get their hands out in time if they fall, which can cause nasty, even disabling hand injuries.

But it seems I'm old fashioned. It's ok to pay lip service to safety, or to pick and choose which bits of safety you can be arsed with.

Andy in Germany and mjr like this.
  8. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

That's disgusting. Clear breach of Rule#45.

9. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

The buckle on the pink hat is also sloping well away from the child's chin, so isn't tight and the hat will move during a crash, which could make injuries worse even if the hat doesn't come off like the other one might.

10. simongt

simongt Über Member

As I understand, the rule of thumb is that if one's bash hat is correctly fitted & adjusted, then it should not be able to move around on your head more than a very small amount. If it can, then it will move A LOT should you have a head contact first spill.

11. Rear brake cables badly routed on both bikes, which probably won't do brake performance any favours either.

Andy in Germany likes this.
  12. siadwell

siadwell Veteran

Chain looks slack...

13. Last helmet lecture I got was from someone riding alongside me with no hands on the handlebars. I kid you not.

Andrew_P, mjr and Drago like this.
  14. The guy had no hands, but still manged to ride a bike? Respect!

15. Perhaps I have been a little lax in my description...

classic33, mjr and Drago like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice