One of my pet hates re pro-helmeteers....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
They bang on about how important it is to wear a helmet for whatever reason - especially for children. Then they send them out like this....

Inkeduseless helmet_LI.jpg

Even if we put aside the debate about the effectiveness of a helmet, if the boy on the left comes off his bike, that helmet will be off his head long before he hits the ground. I see similar on a regular basis, and not only on children!

Drago

Legendary Member
Good god above. What kind of parent splashes black paint across their childrens faces like that?

simongt

Guru
Indeed. I often wonder when I see parent / child cycle groups, do the children ever ask 'Why do we have to wear helmets, but you don't - ?' And what would the answer be - ?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Indeed. I often wonder when I see parent / child cycle groups, do the children ever ask 'Why do we have to wear helmets, but you don't - ?' And what would the answer be - ?
Although in this case it appears that the parent doesn't have a bike! So perhaps a family outing with parent walking the dog while the children come along on their bikes.

Drago

Legendary Member
If you're gonna do safety, do it proper like. Loose fitting, unfastened winter coat just waiting to catch on something and cause a spill. No hand protection, and as kids have faster reactions that adults they're likely to be able to get their hands out in time if they fall, which can cause nasty, even disabling hand injuries.

But it seems I'm old fashioned. It's ok to pay lip service to safety, or to pick and choose which bits of safety you can be arsed with.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
They bang on about how important it is to wear a helmet for whatever reason - especially for children. Then they send them out like this....

View attachment 389978

Even if we put aside the debate about the effectiveness of a helmet, if the boy on the left comes off his bike, that helmet will be off his head long before he hits the ground. I see similar on a regular basis, and not only on children!
That's disgusting. Clear breach of Rule#45.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

View attachment 389978

The buckle on the pink hat is also sloping well away from the child's chin, so isn't tight and the hat will move during a crash, which could make injuries worse even if the hat doesn't come off like the other one might.

simongt

Guru
As I understand, the rule of thumb is that if one's bash hat is correctly fitted & adjusted, then it should not be able to move around on your head more than a very small amount. If it can, then it will move A LOT should you have a head contact first spill.

Top Bottom