1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One of the stranger things I have seen people do

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Bigtallfatbloke, 11 Dec 2007.

1. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

...out on my loop today I saw a middle aged lady up on a step ladder on the verge about 50 metres from her posh house in Blackmore...hoovering the leaves off the tree:ohmy::wacko:

...I put it down to to much time, money and possibly alcohol.;)

2. was it an evergreen?

3. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

It used to be:biggrin:

4. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

I suppose that depends on how much you had drunk:evil:

5. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

Presumably, if it was a posh house, she was using a Dyson and not a Henry?

6. sheddy

sheddy Veteran

Well they may have ended up there from a council operative using his leaf blower

7. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

She may as well chop the tree down. And then concrete over the grass, too. Terribly messy, this nature stuff! Bet her and her hubby have fun in the sack! (I say darling, I know you like to put it in there, but can't we desist with this sort of thing now that we've done the 'having children' thing?)

8. walker

walker New Member

do you do shift work BTFB? you seem to be out everyday at mid morning

9. walker

walker New Member

10. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

This is an absolutely true story.

When I was in the Army, we were being bought back as a regiment, from Osnabruck to Aldershot to be re-deployed as part of a different Brigade. As a farewell parade is always a good idea so the Brigadier was invited. The day of the parade came, about this time of year, and we were all out bright and early in our overalls getting the barracks ship-shape. This included a team picking up each and every leaf that had fallen onto the parade square and the surrounds, these were deposited in bin bags round the back of the gym.

We were duly inspected, and, as the Brigadier was taken into the Sgts Mess for drinks he said, quite innocently "Blimey, it's autumn and theres no leaves"

He was due out after drinks and some lunch, and was to be transported from the camp on a gun carriage. By the time he came back out, the ground was festooned with leaves as we had spent the last 1/2 hour rushing back and forwards re-distributing the leaves from behind the gym:biggrin: His face was an absolute picture, the previously sparkling honour guard now had leaves stuck in their belts, puttees had leaves stuck to them like limpets, the previously completely bare parade square was covered in leaves, it was by far the most hilarious episode of my Army career (except the Browning .50 incident);)

11. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

once saw a council worker using a leaf blower when it was blowing a gale. i suspect he just did what the gaffer said and didn't care whether he made any difference or not ;)

12. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

Strange things people do .....

Another true and actually very sad story..i felt for the guy :smile:

I was standing outside my old employers factory some years ago. Dead opposite is the Hotpoint factory, with its gates and entrances.
    I saw this guy striding VERY purposefully toward the gate...ah, hes going to work, i thought.
    As he neared the gates..he suddenly stopped dead, turned tail and ran back where he came from....;) Ooer i thought.

I watched him....he did this three or four times :biggrin::ohmy::ohmy: The last time, he almost launched himself through the gates.

He must have been in turmoil the poor guy...psyching himself up to go to work....or maybe an interview.

Jeesus, we all got difficulties in life...this guy seemed in real difficulties :biggrin:

13. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Any chance Magg' ???????????????

14. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

Oh OK then;)

Towards the end of my career I was in the Royal Artillery Sales, Trials and Demonstration Team. We were working on the development of a version of Tracked Rapier (the anti-aircraft system). It was decided that the platform was vulnerable to close in attack as it only had missles. It was decided that 2 Browning .50 machine guns could be "bolted" onto each side, thus giving awesome close-up protection. The day of the test came, and a drone was to be flown past us, and we would shoot it down. So, assembled on Salisbury Plain, were various top brass, designers and engineers and armourers etc. The drone flew into view and my mate Derek acquired the target and let rip. Let me tell you, it was like being in a biscuit tin, in a bigger tin with rocks in between and being shaken vigourosly:ohmy: It seemed to take ages to shoot it down, but we managed it:thumbsup: When we opened the hatch there was no-one in sight! Then heads started popping up like a herd of Goafers. I mean popping up, from a ditch, from behing a hill, from under a 4 tonner, one of the Brownings had come loose during the test firing:evil: While one was shooting at the drone, the other was flailing about shooting hundreds of round all over the bloody show, including the destruction of a Land Rover and the near destruction of an entire design team:biggrin:

Oh those were the days:biggrin:

15. I bet that wasn't funny at the time.;)