One of those days when cycling is great.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hello again.
This morning was one of those mornings were I woke up at 5 and could not get back to sleep , so I used it to my advantage and got all the household chores out of the way. By 9 everything was done and the world was my oyster and started to think about a nice bike ride. The forecast for this afternoon gave rain so I thought it would be ideal to go out now while the sun was shining. As it happens there was a half marathon taking place in my area so I tried to plan my 25 mile ride to avoid it ,but whatever route I took the roads were blocked off. After my forth detour I jokingly remarked to one of the Marathon marshal's " is there anywhere I can cycle today" He said your more than welcome to cycle along the closed roads just so long your careful. Its just to stop the cars" Ohhh was it nice to be able to cycle along main roads today without any cars about. I took full advantage of it and cycled the best part of 10 miles of A roads closed to traffic. I was getting cheeky remarks off spectators shouting I was cheating ( all in good fun)
When my path crossed with the giant flotilla of runners I stopped and clapped them on before I got on my way again. It was also surprising to see how many other cyclists were taking advantage of the closed off roads. It makes you wonder how many more people would take cycling up if we had more closed off roads to cars in this country. One of the better ride out the day for sure :-).

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Excellent, and well done the Marshall, I'm sure they would have just grunted at you round here. I also think that the answer to your question is simple enough, of course more people would cycle if we had more traffic free routes to cycle on.

Anyway, we'll done, sounds like you had a result.

Top Bottom