One of those days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

earth

That's what today turned out to be.

First. Nearly got knocked off at a T junction. At this particular junction you can go straight on or turn left when the lights are green. I was waiting in line to go straight on. The lights turned green, the car in front went left, I proceeded to go straight on and the car behind me came along side to might right and started to turn left into me as I was going straight ahead. I saw them out of the peripheral vision and turned sharply to avoid being hit. So then I was going down a dual carriage way which is the last thing I wanted so I turned off at the pedestrian crossing a few meters ahead. The car behind me is beeping the horn then it comes along side me again the girl starts shouting and pointing a digit, saying she will run me over next time. So I said I was going straight on and she starts saying I should have indicated. Then all the passengers in the car are at it. But you don't indicate if you are going straight on! There is no signal. You signal if you are changing direction. So from her point of view there was a cyclist in front of her not indicating they were turning but going across the road and for some reason she thought they were going to turn left? Why? If there was no indication of turning then why assume they were turning? Even if they were you would not drive along side them.

Second. On the way home another juvenile comes past shouting out of the window as they go past.

sidevalve

Über Member
Don't want to sound picky but where abouts on the road were you if she could end up on your right [without crossing the centre line I assume] and then swing left ? If you were to the left of the lane she might have assumed you were turning left [sorry but many cyclists just don't bother to indicate, 'specially when turning left, yes it's sad but true].
I'm not much for the "I'm taking control of the road" thing when it's not required [and yes again there are those who do] but there are times when it becomes vital for your own safety.
Again no critisism intended but we need to know exactly whwer you were before forming any opinions. If you were out in the middle of te lane and she semi overtook [using all the road] then cut in then she 's just a total numpty. If not, and you were to the left then sorry but part of the blame is yours.

OP
OP
E

earth

Can't exactly remember but htere was a car in front and a car behind so I was likely in the middle of the lane. It is not helped by being on a hill. But approaching this junction the road splits into two lanes. The left lane for turning left onto the dual carriageway the right lane is marked bus cycle and taxi only and has a traffic light whose green light is a forward arrow for going across the carriageway to the road going straight on the other side. I'm not convinced now that you can actually turn left at all from that lane.

OP
OP
E

earth

Besides cycle lanes are on the left. If you are in the middle of the lane then you risk being hit from behind when the car behind you accelerates faster than you can. This is especially likely to happen if you are setting off on a hill. Either way you would not pull along side someone going in a straight line forward only to make a left turn in the hope that they are doing the same. You would hang back and make you left turn, leaving them unaffected.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Just stalk her for a few months making her life a complete misery, and confining her to her house terrified to go out after painting all her windows red.
OR
Forget it and put it down to another stupid bint (not being sexist, it just happened to be a women) who doesn't like bikes.

I prefer option 1 , as it gives you something to do in the evenings if there is nowt on the telly and you cant be bothered going for a ride.

OP
OP
E

earth

Option 1 is appealing but don't know where they live.

It might sound ironic but I've found part of forgetting about it is to vent the anger. If not, I would keep thinking how it was her fault. Once spoken about and discussed - not just here - I can largely forget about it.

Top Bottom