One persons word against another.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Just another perspective here. Imagine you are the neighbour who owns the car. Some well-meaning neighbour comes along and tells you that they have just seen Longers or Longers' dad crack your number plate. Now, as far as we can tell, Longers is pretty sure that he hasn't done it, and doesn't think his dad has done it.

Now what would you do, or think? You ask Longers and he gives you the reply "No, I don't think it was me or dad." Where will the conversation go from here? As a neighbour you don't want to fall out with Longers, but the fact the neighbour says they witnessed him or his dad doing it means you now have the might of right on your side. If nothing else you now have the uneasy feeling Longers is being a bit awkward over this. It's a real conundrum.

Personally I would now pay for my own number plate and spend the rest of my life thinking he's a bit of a tit. The fact that I have known full blown neighbour disputres spiral from something as trivial as this in to full-on nasty assaults leaves me with the feeling that if I could afford the cost of the number plate, I'd put it down to the fact that I could possibly have been wrong, and if I wasn't then SFW, it's only the cost of two pints of bitter.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Blimey. Sounds as if you've been reasonable enough, it sounds peculiar that they aren't showing any animosity towards you but they're involving the police. Maybe they think it will frighten you into paying up?!

Tell him you'll reimburse him on production of a receipt for a new number plate.

He wants redress because he "knows" it was you, you don't want to pay because you know it wasn't, but it's still only going to be £10.

Top Bottom