One way streets, turn right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
This may sound like a really daft question, I apologise.

There is a one way street, it's wide enough for two cars at the end, but there are not two individually marked lanes. The street turns into a normal two way road. Most cars will do the natural and correct thing: move right to turn right and move left to turn left this allows cars turning left to do so. However, a large portion of them will take a central or even left position and indicate right (when I am in my car I could often go inside them and turn right if I was stupid enough).

As a cyclist where should I be positioned and where is best to position? I had an issue today where a car took to the left of me and turned right with me (despite clearly knowing I was there) which left me in the middle of the road on their inside (which I decided was better than under their wheels!)

400bhp

Guru
Right on the right-left on the left.

Sometimes there's feck all you can do about stupidity. I had a numpty turn right into a one way street where I was in front and making the right turn too.

I made sure I was in front of him by the end of the road though. :whistle:

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks.

When you say "right on right" where exactly would you position yourself, take what effectively would be the right lane or keep just right of the middle lane? I think in the first case, it encourages this silly behaviour of undertaking. In the last case you're potentially going to end up with cars overtaking?

stowie

Legendary Member
BrynCP - I have exactly the same issue at the end of my road. No markings but it allows two cars side by side at the end of the one way street. I initially waited to the right on the cycle to have cars go to my left and then turn right. Which is OK if the traffic is backed up on the main road as I am then in the centre when I turn and can filter past the traffic, but if there is no jam then I need to be assertive and pull across the car. To be fair I haven't had an issue doing this. When I was a novice cyclist I tried various strategies - I moved left and then just had left turning cars go to the right of me. I tried the middle and then had two cars to squeeze either side. So I would say go in the right hand side to turn right and be assertive when you pull out into the road.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
As a cyclist where should I be positioned and where is best to position? I had an issue today where a car took to the left of me and turned right with me (despite clearly knowing I was there) which left me in the middle of the road on their inside (which I decided was better than under their wheels!)

I have that on my route too.
I position myself in the middle of the right lane to turn right and occasionally some dick pulls alongside to my left to turn right as well. I take the opportunity to be grateful for the early dick-identification and let him go; I'd rather have a dick in front of me than behind me. Erm, you know what I mean...

GC

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
when some ***-*** starts to pull up on the inside of me indicating right when I'm turning right, I usually turn to them and say "where the **** are you going you ******** **** ****-face?" I haven't had many pull out at the same time...

D

Deleted member 26715

You 'should' ride down the road in the left hand lane, then at a suitable point indicate right & move into the right hand lane, cancel the indication & then re-indicate your intention to right right. The road should effectively be treated as a dual carriageway with everybody initially using the left lane, however the poor standards of driving in this country means that on the Sheffield Parkway people leave the M1 then travel down the right hand lane as they want to turn right 5 miles further on.

Alan...

Platinum

I have the exact same problem leaving my village. For a long time there weren't any road markings at all because cars had worn them off and turning from any lane was a bit of a free for all. Locals knew to turn right from the right hand lane, but many people visiting the pub would always keep to the left. So I emailed my local council asking for them to come and paint on some lane markings with proper arrows. Instead they came and painted on one double-headed arrow thing that doesn't help clarify anything at all. Most of the time now if I end up with a car pulled up beside me I'll just let them go first and they can just get on with whatever stupidness they feel like doing. Luckily it's normally quiet and I'm slow enough anyway that a second's delay isn't a big deal.

Top Bottom