Online banks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Does anyone use an online bank? I’ve been told by my bank, Barclays, it no longer wants my business as I have an overseas address. After a bit of research it seems that one of the online providers might be the only way I can have a bank account.
Any recommendations or ones to avoid?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Monza. or Chase, i use them both.
Would not touch Barclays with a barge pole, I nearly lost my first house because of them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks @derrick . I’m guessing Chase is US based although it seems they will accept customers from other countries so a possibility.
Monzo won’t accept applications from other than the U.K.

vickster

Legendary Member
Which ones can you actually access? Then perhaps experiences can be given :smile:
Starling get decent reviews I think

I'm sure there are some very honest and reliable banks in West Africa though :whistle:

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Does anyone use an online bank? I’ve been told by my bank, Barclays, it no longer wants my business as I have an overseas address. After a bit of research it seems that one of the online providers might be the only way I can have a bank account.
Any recommendations or ones to avoid?

I had the same as my local HSBC was shutting. After 34 years of my custom.

So i got paid £175 to Switch to First Direct (Also owned by HSBC !).....and they have been completely brilliant across the swap-over and beyond.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Which ones can you actually access? Then perhaps experiences can be given :smile:
Starling get decent reviews I think

I'm sure there are some very honest and reliable banks in West Africa though :whistle:
I can access all these:

Wise
Revolut
Starling
N26
Monese

There are some good banks here but I’d rather keep it U.K. based.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Starling is only UK residents unfortunately

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
99.9% with occasional visit to branch to pay in cheque.

Yea sure. My point was - from the title i imagine the OP is looking for an online only outfit - as he doesn't need to physically visit a bricks-n-Mortar Branch for his purposes.

I've been able to bank online for about the same timescale as you i guess (From memory). Because of the demise of my local HSBC Branch; i'm online only now (*Although First Direct - my new Bank - can arrange for me to collect £10k cash (For example); or do other tasks not able to be done online; at an HSBC Branch if required....).

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have been using Starling for several years, since they set up in fact. No complaints, I would go as far as to say very good.

My youngest brother has a Chase Account, he gets 1% cash back on expenditure, don't know the exact details. He is perfectly happy with them.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Our local Clydesdale Bank got taken over and changed to Virgin Money which has now gone almost entirely online for domestic customers anyway. The physical branch office remains open presumably for business users.
I am rather surprised that they are in fact much better than I expected and have not been inside the bank for a few years now as everything is online.

Top Bottom