Online music

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've just paid out $22 for a year's access to IMSLP.org - a free online source of the sheet music. I've just looked at the original edition of Playford's Airs, Debussy's own manuscript of his Mallarmé poems, and a 17th century harpsichord manual.

Included in the price is a sub to the Naxos Music Library - 125,000 CDs available for streaming, from many of the big labels. I've just found the CDs I was part of recording back in 1993, as well as the Gimell back catalogue (a choral singing nerd's wet dream).

All of this is legal. Many of you will already have access to the Naxos Library via your local library.

Truly the internet is a wonderful thing.

Vidor06

Long term loafer
I paid Amazon (I know, I know) £39 for my Prime (student) subscription around this time last year. I have made plenty of use of the free one day delivery, the kids love the Prime Movies/TV and I havent needed to buy any music for the entire year. I have discovered plenty of new artists and finally got the point of playlists. Prime music is great because you can download the music to your device for listening offline too.
I really do think this internet thing might catch on.

Jimidh

Veteran
I love online streaming services.

I use Deezer both on the move but mostly at home via a Sonos system. I managed to get a year's subscription for £25 after my first year's free subscription has expired.

I listen to tons of music and have goins lots on new artists that I would not have normally listened to had I had to go out and physically buy a CD.

It's also great for putting together playlists for turbo sessions.

My kids just take it for granted and think CDs are old hat - my vinyl collection is prehistoric to them!!

Old jon

Guru
This sounds wonderful, unlimited sheet music! That said, I am still in the long process of learning James Oswald's immense output, with other easier stuff added. I will certainly look at the Naxos Library. Thank you for the info.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I should say that IMSLP is free if you don't mind waiting a few seconds for downloads. It's only public-domain material, but that covers the vast majority of the history of music.

Top Bottom