Online route planning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like Ride With GPS but there's plenty.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's loads.
Bikehike
Ridewithgps
Strava
Garmin connect
Gpsies
ViaMichelin
Cyclestreets

that's just for starters. Try a few and see which one you likebest

OP
OP
Douggie954

Douggie954

Thanks for the advice. Think I will try a couple and see which one I get on with best.

andym

Über Member
Which is the best at plotting routes across Europe. I am not dowloading onto a Garmin but i want to plot a circular route around Holland, Belgium, and France.

I have been using Google maps so far but if any of the above are better please say.

SFAIK the ones mentioned use Google maps.

You have the alternative of using the Open Street Map mapping - I don't know the names of any websites using these, but you can easily download Basecamp and then the mapping from Openfietsmap.nl (if you're on a mac it's slightly more complicated but not much).

Unfortunately while routing tools make it quicker and easier to plot the route, the results can be unpredictable, so there's no real substitute for zooming in close and using 'routepoints' (also called 'viapoints') to take control.

Unfortunately while routing tools make it quicker and easier to plot the route, the results can be unpredictable, so there's no real substitute for zooming in close and using 'routepoints' (also called 'viapoints') to take control.

Excellent tip for someone who is new to these. I've caused myself one or two problems by not following this advice.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Which is the best at plotting routes across Europe. I am not dowloading onto a Garmin but i want to plot a circular route around Holland, Belgium, and France.

I have been using Google maps so far but if any of the above are better please say.

Have a look at Plotaroute. I am in Denmark and find Plotaroute very simple to use. You can route it on the roads and then off road and then back onto road, unlike other route planners.

Broadside

Guru
Bikeroutetoaster is my favorite, thought I would mention it as no one else has.

If you are new to this then it is worth pointing out that you should switch off automatic off course recalculation on your GPS unit. You will occasionally find that you will lose the GPS signal and this can sometimes make the unit think it's gone a long way off course and so it may start to replan the route to get you back on course even though you're not off it...

If you are planning a route on your computer first then you just want the GPS unit to help you follow it, not start deciding that there is an alternative route.

Top Bottom