Online takeaways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yeah, they have a good reputation and are usually busy. It must be a goldmine!

I think it is owned by one of the Italian families with catering expertise - often in ice cream - who settled in the north east.

It seems many of the families came from the same area of Italy.

A mate of mine happened on the area by accident while on holiday over there.

He was surprised to hear north east accents, and surprised to meet so many people with connections to his home patch.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Perhaps it's just me but I find takeaway food incredibly salty and unhealthy, we very rarely have them, except for fish and chips now and again. I find if we want a treat and are feeling a bit lazy, an M&S meal deal tastes better.

Ditto.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
They are just a middleman offering little added value.
Go direct to the supplier, you will be helping them out and get a better service.

Reactions: gbb

vickster

Legendary Member
Go direct to the supplier, you will be helping them out and get a better service.
Except not all local places have their own delivery drivers and outsource to one of the companies (as the case with my Nepalese curry via Deliveroo)

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I prefer to leave marketing of the business to the owner.

I can't think of any of the takeaways I've had over the last few months which I would have had if they were not on Just Eats.

Like any marketing tool, it will work best for those that use it skilfully.

My guess is that most of the takeaway owners see online as a little extra business from customers, such as me, who were never going to walk in or lift the phone.

For the independents, it will be cost efficient way of achieving an online presence.

As regards added value, convenient secure payment does it for me, although there is more, such as wider choice, up to date special offers, speedy ordering, a record of your order if there's any dispute, and probably a few other things.

Some takeaways charge a 50p 'service charge' on top of delivery, which I'm guessing they wouldn't if you telephoned.

So in lots of cases, the customer is paying the commission, not the business.

I'm all in favour of keeping a close eye on the big companies, but I don't think the likes of Just Eats deserve any criticism for their offer.

There will be plenty of big companies elsewhere in the food chain which do deserve stick.

On his last 2 visits our son has ordered meals via Deliveroo. Took ages to get here and had a crazy delivery charge.
Our favourite Chinese takeaway delivers but the times promised are awful ie they just say "anytime within 45 minutes" and it could be 10 minutes (when you are not up to it) or 45 minutes ( by then you are starving).
Easier to collect if possible.
:smile:
Yes, palerider has special requirements but I don't understand folk doing this, other than because "they can".
Just easier to wander into the kitchen and rustle something up, swigging on a large glass of red if you want.
Sitting around waiting for a doorbell that might come whenever sounds like the sort of thing guaranteed to pump digestion disturbing juices around.
Or some unfortunate delivery driver turns up to find you all pissed, and maybe a bit angry with it.

I find the pizza delivery thing (except in italy where the pizzas are often a wonder) to be particularly odd - why not just shove a frozen pizza you have had the foresight to buy in your own oven and enjoy - a damn sight faster.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Personally I like the occasional takeaway, a ready meal isn’t the same.

No longer eating meat, I find the choice of curry ready meals that do not contain chicken or lamb to be very lacking, while a good curry restaurant any will have 15 or more fish or seafood options and the same again vegetarian.
Waitrose and M&S, the best purveyors of ready meals, have one maybe two prawn or fish options in the range (often sold out) and the same in vegetarian main courses (also often unavailable). Tesco/Asda/Morrison's don’t have any non meat mains 95% of the time

And no, I can’t be bothered to make a curry from scratch for myself when I can get one delivered for a tenner or so :ph34r: it’s my money to spend as I wish :whistle:

Last edited:
Top Bottom