Online takeaways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Do any members have experience of ordering takeaways online for delivery?

I've been reluctantly using the service recently because my ailments make it difficult to do food shopping and rattle pots and pans in the kitchen.

My attempt at using Uber Eats failed due to difficulties with the website, possibly caused by incompatibility with my Chromebook.

However, two months after registering they sent me a discount offer of up to £15 off any order over £15 as a special offer for my first order.

This, unlike most offers, appeared worth a go, so I made a food order of about £16, which came to £20 delivered.

To my surprise, the site deducted £15, leaving me with a bill of about four quid.

Not to my surprise, the food didn't turn up.

I spoke to the restaurant who said they had no record of my order, but would chase it with Uber.

To my surprise, someone from Uber rang me, but only to say the order had been cancelled and I had not been charged.

No explanation offered, but I could make another order.

Not to my surprise, when I did that the discount voucher no longer worked.

I reckon this may be a Hoover job - Uber mistakenly set up the offer as excessively generous.

Being Uber, they simply cancelled the 'offending' orders, the company believing regulations and fair play don't apply to them - see their taxi service in London.

I have received good service from Just Eats.

What's your experience of online takeaways?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
None whatever, but mightn't it be easier to order over the phone?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The handful of times I've ordered a take-away online (or over the phone)... it would have been quicker to walk to said take-away and just order the food normally. Even ordering online for collection seems to take longer than simply going there.

Oddly, a couple of months back (probably last year thinking about it)... a just eats driver turned up at my door with two milkshakes. I hadn't ordered them so sent him packing... but who orders just a milkshake for delivery??? :wacko:

vickster

Legendary Member
I used Deliveroo not that long ago, free delivery and Quidco tracked.
I also ordered cod & chips online on Friday, collected an hour later :hungry:

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
On his last 2 visits our son has ordered meals via Deliveroo. Took ages to get here and had a crazy delivery charge.
Our favourite Chinese takeaway delivers but the times promised are awful ie they just say "anytime within 45 minutes" and it could be 10 minutes (when you are not up to it) or 45 minutes ( by then you are starving).
Easier to collect if possible.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I was away on business once and managed to order take-away food for delivery to my wife (unwell at the time) & son. Simple enough experience to use again (Just Eat, local chippy).

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Probably the best way to be, although I did have a carvery takeaway which I thought was tolerably healthy.

The large chip shop/restaurant/ ice cream parlour on the front not far from you has always done us well on cycling stops.

Only snag is it can very busy, depending on what time you land.

Looks like they call it Coastline.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x487e6d43ab25ea19:0x7f2384c3ea53a8ae!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipN5XsvwLa2yMOONuCoeO299qUfrxycyKOjDai4v=w246-h184-k-no!5ssouth beach blyth chip shop - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipN5XsvwLa2yMOONuCoeO299qUfrxycyKOjDai4v&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiF1OmTntTrAhVKsKQKHZicBAEQoiowEnoECBcQBg
Yeah, they have a good reputation and are usually busy. It must be a goldmine!

I've heard that the one at Seaton Sluice has better fish & chips and if you want good ice-cream you need to head inland to Seaton Delaval.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've tried Just Eat and Uber Eats a few times, and come to the conclusion that these services are a solution to a problem that never really existed.
Uber Eats was slow and the food was cold. Just Eat was a frustrating experience, it once let me place an order at a takeaway that wasn't even open. I only found out an hour later.

Ringing the takeaway is quicker and easier. If you don't have a menu and there isn't one online I maybe see a partial point, but other than that, no. Give your money to the local takeaway gadge who built his business, bought the ingredients and cooked them, not a third party mega corporation who had nothing to do with it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not used Uber or Just Eats. In lockdown, ordred direct from a local 'American Style' takeaway, and everything arrived bang on time - slightly early actually. Dominoes has always been reliable (my son is delivering for one at the moment), and another local take away - either order on-line or by phone - again as promised.

Ordered click and collect from our local chippy in lockdown - that was far better than usual, as food ready on time to pick up. Usually, when you go, they are so slooooowwwww.

Gunk

Guru
Perhaps it's just me but I find takeaway food incredibly salty and unhealthy, we very rarely have them, except for fish and chips now and again. I find if we want a treat and are feeling a bit lazy, an M&S meal deal tastes better.

Top Bottom