Only Four Weeks To The National 400k Audax!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I tend to "run hot" so I'm going with roubaix bib shorts, regular YACF jersey, roubaix arm & leg warmers, lightweight rain jacket & will decide between light & heavy gilet on the day.

Bikerchick

I've been wishing for sun all week, but I don't think I wished hard enough!! I guess anything will be better than torrential rain and gales. Who knows if I carry my waterproof trousers, coat and might even stretch to cape then I definitely won't be needing them!!

One things for sure, the sun will come out when it's all over.

Bikerchick

So, how did everyone get on?
It was my first one,Really enjoyed it . How about you. Oh, you all have me to thank for keeping the rain away, I hate getting wet so I invested in a dreaded cycling cape, but how smug would I have felt if we had had the torrential rain they had first forecast!!

Big thank you to the organisers and the very kind people at all the controls

OP
OP
PoweredByVeg

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Absolutey brilliant^_^

Finished in 22hrs, managed about 15 mins shuteye at Salthouse, did the 80km between Barford and Salthouse alone and in the dark:eek: , and the wind was a b****** for 2/3 of it.

But on a more positive note wasn't the organisation excellent! Food laid on at the village hall controls and the volunteers are saints for staying up 'til that ungodly hour especially at Salthouse, I left there at about 3am and they were still looking after the riders.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Fabulous ride to complete our SR.
Great organisation, loads of food.
Wore ourselves out battling head winds in the first couple of legs so were unable to take much advantage of the tail wind to Salthouse. Lay down for a 10 minute kip at 02:30, and woke at 3:50 !
The FD problems that I had been ignoring through the night stage finally needed urgent attention around Wymondham so a couple of fettling stops were required. Arrived Hempnall at 08:50 to scrape under the 24hour mark.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Riding near the back of the field was a remarkably unkempt individual, known to his friends as Mr McNasty (he doesn't have enemies). He's a long-distance rider of great renown, though getting on a bit now. Did anyone summon up courage to chat to him?

Bikerchick

Riding near the back of the field was a remarkably unkempt individual, known to his friends as Mr McNasty (he doesn't have enemies). He's a long-distance rider of great renown, though getting on a bit now. Did anyone summon up courage to chat to him?
Yea, I did before whilst waiting at the start. Quite a character!!

Keeff

Regular
A little bit about George here.

Edit: and more here
We were greatly honoured to have George on our ride. Last time we met him was when we volunteered to run the "night" control at the Daylight 600, in 2007. We drove from Norwich to the west of Scotland to do it.

George and his pal Robert were on a "tour" at the time and coincided their journey to spend the night with us. They arrived at teatime, and I cooked a meal for the helpers. By the time the riders arrived, the deadly duo were fast asleep.

One of the great characters of cycling. We love him to bits - from a distance!!

Keith

John F

Fantastic event, really enjoyed it. Struggled a bit with the route sheet in the dark when I made the unpleasant discovery that the light I had fitted to my helmet would only do flashing mode....

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'll confess to being slightly less than totally prepared. Last minute rush to get to Norwich Friday lead to me forgetting to fit a Garmin mount or bring a headtorch. A least I noticed the bit of fluff on the front tyre was the carcass showing through, so swapped that prior to setting off (well, actually, just nicked the wheel off another bike).

Still, that's the furthest I've ridden on fixed for, probably, at least a couple of years.

Top Bottom