Only one light...

It's dark. You can have only one light. Which would you choose?

• Lights are for wimps

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I saw a bloke last night - and it's not the first time I've seen it - after dark (about 10.15pm) with only a front light. Actually a head torch. He was exiting a large roundabout closely followed by a car. I, being a wimp, was waiting to cross on the cycle path and I had a front light and two rear ones.

It's an urban area and pretty well lit so I find that front lights aren't much use, but I am very conscious that I want motorists approaching from behind to see me. Given a choice of only one light in that situation I'd always want a rear one. If it was so dark I couldn't see where I was going I'd probably get off and walk.

Of course, he could've had a rear light which had failed but I suspect not since the front light wasn't actually on the bike.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I see an amazing number with no lights at all.

Usuall suspects seem to be plodding slowly in the gutter on half flat mtb tyres dark ordinary clothing ,madness.

I put two lights on the back so if one dies the other will still be lit . Front one is easier to check on the hoof.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Around my way, I (can hardly) see kids dressed in black, on black bikes riding around at night with no lights. It's amazing that they are still alive.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I would never plan on being out with only one light, but if I was I would fix it at the rear.
IMO a rear light would be better as most problems you encounter will be from vehicles coming from behind

I would never plan on being out with only one light, but if I was I would fix it at the rear.
IMO a rear light would be better as most problems you encounter will be from vehicles coming from behind
I think most problems I encounter are from the front but I can see to avoid them, I cant see continously to the rear, hence emergency summer light is on the rear for me.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I will soon refit my winter usual: 2 front lights, 2 back lights, small side lights, helmet light.
On riding home after a late shift, bad weather, no moonlight, all lights are on.

Davidc

Guru
Only difference from ianrauk's reply #8 is that I normally run a bright rear flashing light in daylight.

After dark with only one (or no) lights - I'll get off and push.

Mile195

Veteran
I wouldn't choose to go without either, but in an emergency situation, I would always, always have the back one on. I'd take alot of extra care approaching junctions and just assume nobody has seen me, and just ride by the street/moon light.

Top Bottom