ooooh look ebay purchase action

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lanternerouge

Veteran
Hello

Since doing some more off road stuff recently I have been dying to get something that will let me hit the trails - without having to borrow my mate's bike!

I just got this 2008 Specialized Hardrock Comp off Ebay yesterday - looks in really good nick. Got it for £255. I took it out for a play last night and it was great, chain just needs some lube.

I am a beginner so didn't want anything mega posh or too expensive just yet. Have I done the right thing?? Good bike? Have been told it is a good frame.

4779093313_c2546333b0_b.jpg

lukesdad

Looks a bargain, get rid of the saddle crud guard and riser bars though.:smile:

hotmetal

Nice one - good solid bike. I agree the crud catcher is probably a waste of time if you're going to be using it off road.

I wouldn't say you should necessarily get rid of the riser bars though. Try them and see. It depends a lot on the sort of trails you're going to be on. I've always ridden with long stems and flat bars, partly cos I'm a bit old school, having started in about 1990, and partly cos I mainly did flat-ish singletrack. My first reaction when I bought a bike with wide riser bars was to change to what I knew, but I was persuaded to try them first - luckily. After I moved and started riding more demanding terrain with steeper bits, drops and jumps, I ended up going for wider, higher bars and shorter stems to help with control. From the photo I'd say that your bike/bars looks like a good place to start for larking around on reasonably steep or technical bits. If you find that you just can't get enough pedal power down and the trails are relatively flat and smooth, then you might want to consider a flat bar.

Don't listen to the riser bars lobby....they are the devil putting temptation in your way.
Get flat bars and bar ends!

OR..if you must follow new fads, put your own quirkiness and fit bar ends to risers! :biggrin:

Point being, it's a matter of preference risers/flat. There is no right or wrong.

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
Don't listen to the riser bars lobby....they are the devil putting temptation in your way.
Get flat bars and bar ends!

OR..if you must follow new fads, put your own quirkiness and fit bar ends to risers! :biggrin:

Point being, it's a matter of preference risers/flat. There is no right or wrong.

Cheers all, some top advice there! Just glad it's not a lemon. I have broken it already though, knackered a gear cable doing a descent outside Hayfield... oops!

Am already looking forward to upgrade action eventually :smile:

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
Because if its wet and it catches the crud............well you can work it out:biggrin:

Doh! :biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
whats so wrong about riser bars exactly?
It states quite clearly in MBUK that unless you have the very latest carbon fibre offerings in exactly the same shade as the one on this month's £8k test bike, then your penis will shrivel and drop off.

Or if you're a girl it won't.

Swift

that looks pretty cool, i'm looking for a GT All Terra - 3.0 - anybody got a bargain for me? needs to have disk brakes.

lukesdad

It states quite clearly in MBUK that unless you have the very latest carbon fibre offerings in exactly the same shade as the one on this month's £8k test bike, then your penis will shrivel and drop off.

Or if you're a girl it won't.
:biggrin:

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
You can still find the odd bargian on ebay.

Got my 2008 Mongoose Amasa Comp for even less than the Spesh. Paid £175 including SPD pedals and shoes

Top Bottom