OPERATION "BICYCLE LIGHTS"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
thomas said:
Wouldn't it still be light out in July at 4-6? Surely no need for lights.

I think that was the point - the post is ironic?

I have no problem with any clampdown on safety whether it be speeding, red light jumping or poor / broken or absent lighting.

However it should be a level playing field. If "education" is an optional alternative in speeding offences, then the "Buy lights at a subsidy from us" is not a bad option.

In fact it can be worthwhile getting stopped as the lights are cheaper when bought through the Police than the local shops.

Our local Police were selling (Sold Secure Silver RRP£30)) Bulldog locks for £5 as an anti-theft initiative.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Police have given away lights in some places before. The problem was that they were those bogey green micro LEDs, they were the definitive fairy lights. I think anyone mad enough to do that shouldn't be that irate about either fairies or ninjas.

The council gave away day glow POB jackets 2 years in a row here. The police were even out harassing people on the streets to take them.

Nipper

Davidc said:
Read in the local rag that they're doing that here. Turn up with bike &/or receipt for lights and you get off the £30 fine.

I'm more likely to get done for having too many lights.

Hi David, are you near Taunton? There was a story in the paper last week, of course no mention to drivers to take extra care now the nights are drawing in, all the emphasis was on pedestrians and cyclists. The noddy cops were pulling cyclists last Thursday evening on the High Street. Buy lights and get off the fine. On the same ride I was cut up outside the old library by a big car which passed me with about 2inchs to spare, I saw a car parked on the cycle path outside the Gaumont and 3 cars parked on double yellows on East Reach. They victimise cyclists while letting car drivers off the hook.

Why don't they just give lights away, it would be more cost effective if it prevented accidents.

Top Bottom